Can't afford PS

luvmyfamily

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Photoshop and Lightroom are not for everyone. I actually didn't care for lightroom, maybe great for RAW photographers. Any recommendations on a good photo editing software that is user friendly at a good price. I have tried a few trial versions, like Corel paintshop Pro X4. Anyone use this? What do YOU use?? Thanks!

matter of fact....doing good to afford FOOD this week until payday Friday! Gotta love that MORTGAGE!!

Lightroom is probably best even for JPEG photographers... seriously... The price is not bad either.

If you have a Mac, try Pixelmator, available only from the Apple Store, for about $30. It is designed to work with the Mac system. You can try it for 30 days to see how you like it. I've never used PS, but I find this program very comprehensive. You can do layers, etc. I work with JPEGs but it can also handle Raw.
otherprof

Lightroom is probably best even for JPEG photographers... seriously... The price is not bad either.

Thanks, but I must have spent 2 weeks playing with Lightroom, really trying to give it a good chance. It's ok, but I found oter software could do almost the same thing (not everything) Was hoping to hear what software others use.

Photoline32 is better than The Gimp, but the UI can be kind of clunky.

If you're using a mac, people seem to be pretty happy with Pixelmator and Acorn. There is always PaintShop Pro on win.

If you have a Mac, try Pixelmator, available only from the Apple Store, for about $30. It is designed to work with the Mac system. You can try it for 30 days to see how you like it. I've never used PS, but I find this program very comprehensive. You can do layers, etc. I work with JPEGs but it can also handle Raw.
otherprof
Unfortunately, we my husband and I built this big house recently, money is a bit tight now and I do not have a MAC. Bummer....

Try downloading the demo for Photoline32. It does almost everything you'd want to do with Photoshop (at least for photography), and some things it can't.

My grandparents built a custom home. There's the cost in building, then there's the cost in making it livable, then there's the cost of getting everything to work right. It's not a project for the weak willed for sure.

Try downloading the demo for Photoline32. It does almost everything you'd want to do with Photoshop (at least for photography), and some things it can't.

My grandparents built a custom home. There's the cost in building, then there's the cost in making it livable, then there's the cost of getting everything to work right. It's not a project for the weak willed for sure.

Thank you, will try.

Corel Painter Pro, is very good. try ebay, for software, get one that has never been opened and can be registered. My students use this program a lot as they don't have a lot of money either.

There is also Photoscape, which is free and very slick.

Corel Painter Pro, is very good. try ebay, for software, get one that has never been opened and can be registered. My students use this program a lot as they don't have a lot of money either.

There is also Photoscape, which is free and very slick.

Thank you Ann...seems like I ran across Photoscape. Their are sooooo many out there.

Corel Paintshop Pro X4 - Don't have X4 but I have X3. It has a lot of features and I use it for some things. Overall I prefer other software.

Corel Aftershot Pro - Formerly Bibble 5. Just got it today and haven't used it a lot. I tried the trial of Bibble and liked it but didn't care for the price. Corel has it down to $100 ($80 upgrade) so it was worth it to me. Very comprehensive editing software with a lot of experience behind it in Bibble.

DxO Optics Pro 7 - DxO has the largest database of lens correction data and that is a big feature of this software. It will automatically correct many lens problems automatically. Otherwise, while it is good software it is rather slow at times. Very good editing software and I do use it from time to time.

Nikon Capture NX2 - My main editing software. Once you get accustomed to it this software can do a lot.

Adobe Photoshop - Too expensive for my tastes. I just won't bring myself to spend $600+ for software.

Adobe Lightroom - Some love it, some hate it. I'm one of the latter group.

Gimp - I have it but haven't used it. The price is right: Free. And from what I understand it has a lot of capabilities.

Corel Paintshop Pro X4 - Don't have X4 but I have X3. It has a lot of features and I use it for some things. Overall I prefer other software.

Corel Aftershot Pro - Formerly Bibble 5. Just got it today and haven't used it a lot. I tried the trial of Bibble and liked it but didn't care for the price. Corel has it down to $100 ($80 upgrade) so it was worth it to me. Very comprehensive editing software with a lot of experience behind it in Bibble.

DxO Optics Pro 7 - DxO has the largest database of lens correction data and that is a big feature of this software. It will automatically correct many lens problems automatically. Otherwise, while it is good software it is rather slow at times. Very good editing software and I do use it from time to time.

Nikon Capture NX2 - My main editing software. Once you get accustomed to it this software can do a lot.

Adobe Photoshop - Too expensive for my tastes. I just won't bring myself to spend $600+ for software.

Adobe Lightroom - Some love it, some hate it. I'm one of the latter group.

Gimp - I have it but haven't used it. The price is right: Free. And from what I understand it has a lot of capabilities.

Thanks for taking the time to share. I have heard of all of those but DxO Optics pro 7. I have a Canon, so can't use the Nikon software. I'll check to see if DxO Optics Pro 7 has a trial version to try.....I am just exploring all of my options now.

You might want to try the Canon software that came with your T3i. It won't do everything, but for basic post-processing, it does quite well.

You can use Capture NX2 but not with your RAW files, but with jpeg's.

One advantage to this software is the Nik's use of control points.

The reality , there isn't any one perfect piece of software, just as there is no perfect camera. All have their pros and cons, limitations and advantages

Most reactions

New Topics

Back