cant see sides of image (glasses + Olympus OM1 film)

Devon8822

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I got an Olympus OM-1 film camera and I basically cannot see the sides of the image when i look through the view finder because my eye cannot get close enough to it (I wear glasses). What are my possible fixes for this? I have the same problem on my canon though its not nearly as bad and I have been able to live with it. I tried the diopter adjustment on my canon, but my eyes are naturally so ****ed I couldn't turned the diopter adjustment to far enough to be in focus for my eye. As of now I have no way really of taking a picture with this camera other than moving my head around to view each side of the image. ideas?

Eventually you get used to it... If you can, take the rubber eye cup off - that will let you get your eye a little closer. After a while, you'll just 'know' where the edges are.

My eyes are also too far gone to use the diopter, lol.

You may be able to get custom-corrected eye-piece lenses which will allow you to shoot without glasses.

This issue/problem was always a big deal back in the film era, and is one reason the Nikon F3 with the High Eyepoint (long, 25mm eye relief) was SUCH a HUGE boon to eyeglass wearers!!! I used to actually file off the back of the eyepiece on small Nikons (FM, FE, to get my eyeglasses about 4mm closer to the eyepiece...what a PITA...

The problem with using a diopter correcting eyepiece is that, without your glasses on, yuo can't see squat unless looking through the camera...

The great view through the F3HP is what kept me shooting it for 15 years...I could literally SEE what I was trying to compose.

Other options:

• Contact lenses.
  • Laser Surgery.
  • Put film in the rear view mirror, go digital and use live view.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back