Capturing autumn on the SLR

padrepaul77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I posted yesterday about using a polarizing filter, so will be giving that a shot when I'm out over the next week or two trying to get some nice shots of leaves.

In years past, on my Canon Powershots, there was an actual "foliage" setting. My Olympus E620 has similar pre-sets that I can use, but not one just for "foliage" but one that also brings out reds, a "sunset" setting and a "vivid" color setting; I can also adjust for saturation and gradation. I have to admit I'm not sure what "gradation" does so haven't done much experimenting with that. I can also adjust sharpness, contrast, etc. Of course all this can be done after the game on Elements too.

There's also some monochrome filters on there. At first I was thinking why would I want to shoot a beautiful fall shot in monochrome, but reading through the manual it said that the "red" filter will make leaves stand out; so I'll do some shooting with that. I suppose if I do that though I'd want to take the polarizing filter off first?

I'll probably have it set on "landscape" for most of the shots and toy around with the other settings, but my primary goal is to just get some vibrant color and make the image look as sharp as possible.

Thanks,
Paul

If you don't know any better...shooting with the 'picture' modes is OK...that's what they are for. Personally, I haven't taken more than a few test shots with them, since getting my first DSLR, 5 or so years ago.

All you really need is a bit of knowledge and the 4 main modes; P, Av, Tv & M.

I also suggest shooting in RAW and not worrying about all the in-camera image settings. It's much more versatile to adjust those things on the computer than on the camera.

I'll agree with Mike, but only to a point. The first thing I would recommend you do is take a day or two, and establish baseline settings for your in-camera sharpening and saturation levels. Set your camera to RAW, and then take a series of exposures of out-door scenes, analyzing them in your computer and adjusting the sharpness and saturation settings until you get them where you want them.

As far as the use of filters go, if you want to use filters, use filters. Software does an okay job of simulating filters at best and a poor one most of the time.

As far as the use of filters go, if you want to use filters, use filters. Software does an okay job of simulating filters at best and a poor one most of the time.

The OP was also talking about a CPL. Which, AFAIK, you kinda have to do on the camera.

The OP was also talking about a CPL. Which, AFAIK, you kinda have to do on the camera.

Yeah, I have two of them, one for the wide-angle and one for the other lenses. I've read they can help a lot outdoors, so look forward to the results.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back