Cat-tails

Sharkbait

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitesharkphoto.com
No, not the tails of cats, but rather cat-tails, the swamp reed! :-D

I took this over Easter at my parents' farm. This is one where I think I really like it, but at the same time I feel like something is lacking here. Is it just too bland a subject? Does it need something extra to give it some zing? What's wong with this thing???

IMG_7671_edited_RS.jpg

I like the lighting and the DOF, but I don't get a strong sense of subject beyond the multiple cat-tails. My attention is split between the two groups, and my eye isn't sure where to go. With the current image, cropping it square to drop off the two tails on the right helps a little, but I think a different angle and a little more breathing room at the top might be a better way to go. Making this one square centers everything, which doesn't quite work for me either.

mmmm, I think it's more about composition than anything. I also think your DOF is spot on and the lighting from the side is lovely.

I think what I'd like to see is more cat tails, period. The image seems a bit sparse and my eye is wandering about looking for more.

I have to slightly disagree with the others. I want more DOF. I want to be able to really see that fluffy tail in the middle, but its outside the dof range. I love the blurred background, and the blue stripe across the middle is really nice. A little more breathing room at the top would be good, as mark said.

hmmmm, now that Orie is pointing it out, I would have to agree.... since my original nitpik was "more cattails", if they were ALL in focus I might like that better. :D

Great pic. I love the exposure. They are right about the DOF. All of the cattails need to be in focus. Just to let you know...the blue (river is it?) is what makes this pic.

The lighting is great, more DOF would be nice, but I can live with this, but what this begs for (and you can't do anything about it) with this lighting is a dark background to make those tails jump off the screen.

I have this same problem many times, and I have the spring from one of those windshield sunblockers that I need to cover with a dark fabric, just as soon as I figure out what will give the least reflection in bright light.

At first, I was going to say: what more do you want? Light is perfect (you "ordered" a very nice early morning sun for this one - I just assume you got up really early for this one!?!?!?) and I tend to like shallow DOFs, as some may have found out by now.

Yet, upon having read the others' critiques, and having tried out (by scrolling and shifting) Markc's suggestions of cropping out the furthest right cat tails, I am coming to the conclusion that yes, others may have picked out nicely why you're struggling with this photo.

All in all, though, let me say Thank You.
Why?
Cause this photo has taught me what these reeds are called in English ;):D.
I didn't know. Now I do. Another good PhotoForum achievement! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back