CC: NOT MY PHOTOS. I CAMPARE MYSELF TO HER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeez. How many of your friends are photographers? MWAC don't necessarily make photographers.

Granted, for every one you are better than, there are five better than you.

Pay more attention to those better than you, than those you are better than.

I'm actually a little appalled by this thread. You purposely posted your fiends pictures to be torn apart just so you can feel better about yours? What exactly did you say to her when you asked to post her pictures on this forum?

ur kidding right, i take better pics when im drunk

Time put into any skill is worthless if it has been done wrong since day 1. Keep that in mind. Time isn't what makes you skilled. It's the proper practice that does. Having said that, I would be a little pissed if I saw one of my "friends" gauging their progress and feeling better about themselves due to my ineptness. That's just me though.

I'm actually a little appalled by this thread. You purposely posted your fiends pictures to be torn apart just so you can feel better about yours? What exactly did you say to her when you asked to post her pictures on this forum?

I'm right there with you. OP - What are your intentions for this thread?

Thinking back, I would say that this thread's original premise has been brought up, in more or less the same way, at least three times within the past year. I can understand being a bit upset,or even horribly upset with the original premise of the thread, or even the original poster (the OP, as we say here). And yet, at the same time, it does not bother me too much, since there exists this HUGE,huge new collection of MWACs who are part-time "professionals", or "Facebook photographers", or "emerging professionals", whatever they wanna' call themselves. They have friends, acquaintances, associates, co-workers, and so on...and people talk, and compare notes. We have people learning the biz via the internet--via forums, YouTube, SHootsmarter.com, Friday photoschool, Photoflex.com, and hundreds of other web-based sites,blogs, and resources...FLickr, Photocamel,TPF, yadda yadda...

If a photographer "sells" images, and their images are of the Original Poster and her baby (as they are in this case, I think), and their images are posted with permission--well, seems like a logical way to get some input on how good, or bad, one's sort of "mentor" really is. I mean...what better way to judge the skill of a photographer than by being shown three images from a single set?

Hey don't knock the D40!! I'd love to upgrade, but between working full time, raising three kids, and putting myself back to school on zero student loans, I'm nowhere near the $1400 I need for my D7000.....

:p

The camera is only as good as its operator. (then again maybe mine should be a paperweight- I've got a lot to learn!)

To the OP- play and learn and take a step at a time. Shoot a lot, delete as much as necessary, and find your own feel. :thumbsup:

Thinking back, I would say that this thread's original premise has been brought up, in more or less the same way, at least three times within the past year. I can understand being a bit upset,or even horribly upset with the original premise of the thread, or even the original poster (the OP, as we say here). And yet, at the same time, it does not bother me too much, since there exists this HUGE,huge new collection of MWACs who are part-time "professionals", or "Facebook photographers", or "emerging professionals", whatever they wanna' call themselves. They have friends, acquaintances, associates, co-workers, and so on...and people talk, and compare notes. We have people learning the biz via the internet--via forums, YouTube, SHootsmarter.com, Friday photoschool, Photoflex.com, and hundreds of other web-based sites,blogs, and resources...FLickr, Photocamel,TPF, yadda yadda...

If a photographer "sells" images, and their images are of the Original Poster and her baby (as they are in this case, I think), and their images are posted with permission--well, seems like a logical way to get some input on how good, or bad, one's sort of "mentor" really is. I mean...what better way to judge the skill of a photographer than by being shown three images from a single set?

She said her friend is not a part time professional, she does it just for fun. I don't think the OP thinks of this woman as a mentor, as she said she compares herself to her and then states that she doesn't even know what metering is (I don't even come close to comparing myself to my mentor). She clearly posted the pictures for her friend to be torn apart and for her photography to be bashed. Post your own photos and worry about your own photography.

And face it Derrell, if the OP was a man you would be all about telling him what he posted was wrong ;)

MissCream said:
And face it Derrell, if the OP was a man you would be all about telling him what he posted was wrong ;)

Why are you so worried about what I think? The OP in this thread seems like a genuine, honest person; or *is she**? Dunnn-dunnnn-dunnnnn-dunnnn---or is she the reincarnation of that southern woman who was run out of here by Bitter Jeweler and his friends a few months ago??? You know, the same woman, posting under a new handle? Remember--the one who was basically run out of here on a rail for being a newbie who wanted to learn how to take pictures of her kids???

As I said--this same, basic thread concept has appeared here three times before within the span of my mortal memory...

Something seems just ever so slightly off-kilter here with this whole thread...

One of the biggest traps you can get into as a photographer is to constantly compare yourself to others. Look to great photographers for inspiration, sure...but your journey is your own. You're not in a race, and you never "get to" the point where you're perfect and done moving forward. If you constantly compare your work to somebody else's it will never be your own...it will just be a lesser version of theirs. Claim your work for yourself and set it apart from the rest.

ALthough I agree we shouldn't compare ourselves to other photographers, I do think we ALL, to some point, look at their photos. We see things we like, things we don't like. We may even peek in and see how they were made.

Even in our own photograpy we have to decide what works for us, and what doesn't.

So, for the OP, if she see's things she doesn't like in the pictures, she has the "knowledge" on a better way to go about the photograph. It should be an inspiration to her to do it better.

There are several photographers websites that I have on Facebook (and they are REAL photographers). They inspire me to do better with my photography and give me ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back