Celebs and their cameras

"[1 of 17 customers found this review helpful]"

"Although I only used it a small amount of time"

"Saying Nikon and Canon are out of business over this camera only proves my point."

OH yeh... that's a review you should quote.. :er:

I'm not qualified to give an honest review but my few hours with the camera is nothing short of amazing. People forget that Hassy's are priced similar and no one trounces or compares them to a small frame digital.

Of course. Then again, the S-System isn't true medium format, either. But you don't have to convince me.

The ridiculousness of that post is why I quoted it.

Last edited:
Ah..

I always thought MF is anything larger than 35mm film frame but smaller than large format (4x5). I don't think there is anything "true" about the term "medium format". Its a loose term...

The Hassy H3DII has a 33mm x 44mm sensor (compared to the S2's 30x40) which isn't all that different... and definitely smaller than the 6x6 or 6x4.5 earlier film hassy's used. No one ever questioned whether or not the H3 was a "true" medium format (whatever that actually means).

I just mean to point out the polarizing (and often misinformed) opinions the Leica branding brings about... especially around here when so few actually have any experience with the brand.

Joseph Wisniewski, one of dPreview's longest standing forum members and a veritable encyclopedia of information about all things photographic has long referred to the Hassy MF cameras as "tweener" format cameras...not really true "medium format",yet offering a capture area that is larger than 24x36 or the commonly named "FF d-slr" format...he's not all that sold on the advantages of the tweener size cameras. And,neither has been the marketplace either, as company after company has gone out of business trying to sell them over the past decade.

Considering that 645 medium format measures about 55 millimeters along the long axis of the frame, a camera that has a 30x40 or 33x44 sized image capture area seems awfully small to me to be considered "medium format"...it's more like the old 127 film format or the old, discontinued "Baby Rollei" size--only SMALLER!!!!

Ah..

I always thought MF is anything larger than 35mm film frame but smaller than large format (4x5). I don't think there is anything "true" about the term "medium format". Its a loose term...

The Hassy H3DII has a 33mm x 44mm sensor (compared to the S2's 30x40) which isn't all that different... and definitely smaller than the 6x6 or 6x4.5 earlier film hassy's used. No one ever questioned whether or not the H3 was a "true" medium format (whatever that actually means).

I just mean to point out the polarizing (and often misinformed) opinions the Leica branding brings about... especially around here when so few actually have any experience with the brand.

Re: "true medium format". Point well taken.

Looks like all H3DII-series backs use ~ 48x36 mm sensors, though:

H System

You may be confusing the H3DII series with the H4D-40.

Ah..

Re: "true medium format". Point well taken.

Looks like all H3DII-series backs use ~ 48x36 mm sensors, though:

H System

You may be confusing the H3DII series with the H4D-40.

Sensor got bigger overtime. I was referring to the earlier H3DII-31mpx from the 2007. btw... one of the biggest adv of the system is the interchangeable backs which allow for such an upgrade. Leica implemented a similar concept for their R8 and R9 with DMR (digital module - R) which allowed for the same camera to use either digital or film backs. I kinda wished the S2 was a similar design for allow flexibly/upgradability for the future. Not that it matters.. way out of my price range anyways.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back