Chair. C&C please

iNick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im working on getting more in depth into exposer, trying to balance out the highs and lows of shots to get less washed out and under exposed areas. I know a lot of you may not like the subject/composition.. i expect a few .."yep, It's a chair alright" replies and thats fine. I personally like the shot, for some reason empty chairs intrigue me (a bit odd i know) but please let me know how "technically correct" this shot is. I used Aperture to do some edits.50 1.8 prime, @4.0. 1/15 ISO 100 . If you'd like to comment on other aspects, thats surely not a problem :thumbup:

5906170454_c495496b6f_z.jpg

I like the lighting in colors in this one.

Thanks!

Does it seem. Weee bit crooked or is that just my eyes :/

I like the image.

BUT, it would benefit from just a bit of floor in front of the feet you clipped. Clone out what appears to be a cord, on the right side, too.

Nice shot, I enjoy the composition very much.

I like the image.

BUT, it would benefit from just a bit of floor in front of the feet you clipped. Clone out what appears to be a cord, on the right side, too.

Ah yes, i did clip the feet a bit, thanks for pointing that out :thumbup: Forgot about that pesky cable on the right, ill take care of that as well.

-------
Thanks for the comments guys. Also thanks to e.rose for being "that guy" (or gal i should say -_-)

Bitter agrees with me, more cowbell...wait..I mean more floor space for the legs that are currently cropped at the bottom of the frame...in addition to the cord on the right, it wouldn't hurt to clone out the aberrant curtain frame left...

I once did a series focused on a chair and a window. Had a model sit on a simple old wooden kitchen chair angled towards a bare window. The room had plain wooden floors and unadorned walls. Picture a nude woman on a chair staring out onto the world from an unadorned darkened room, looking out and longing for the opportunities and discoveries to be made just beyond the glass. The trick was to balance the outdoor scene (through the window) with the indoor scene. A large softbox was the key to getting this image.

In your chair photo try and get more detail from the scene at the window. Right now there is no detail left, just a broad band of blown highlight. You will have to introduce some additional lighting with some skill so as keep the naturally lit feeling. Nice image none the less.

It's a nice shot, fist we need more floor at the front as Bitter said, more detail in the window as Patrice said, get rid of the cable and i think move slightly to the right to see the second curtain and some more of outside expose for the ambient outside and add light inside

A valiant effort, but your goal was "trying to balance out the highs and lows of shots to get less washed out and under exposed areas", then I'd say this was a fail. The left side is blown and the bottom right has little to no shadow detail of the chair leg. To capture this scene with such a dynamic range, you'll need more than just a camera.

Your goal is a good one that should not be spurned due to interim failures. That is part of the process to understanding how to see the light. Keep at it.

Thanks guys. Took some more shots, gonna do a bit of pp and I'll repost.

kundalini said:
To capture this scene with such a dynamic range, you'll need more than just a camera.

Unfortunately I have not yet dabbled into any external lighting. I'll most likely grab a flash before the summer ends. I suppose I'm trying to achieve that balance as best I can with what I have. I'm more looking to keep as much detail as possible in these extremes so those areas are still part of the shot, rather than having just a blown out spot or dark area. Thanks for the encouragement.

I like it.

Have you tried metering for the window and bounce the flash off of the wall behind or ceiling? I think that would create a more balanced exposure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back