Changing the time of a digital photo

darich

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.darich.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've just returned from a trip to NYC and remembered to adjust the clock on my 5D to NYC time. However i managed to get it 12hours out. so my shots taken in mid afternoon have a time recorded of 02:10 ie early hours of morning.

I forgot to change the clock on my A85 compact so they're all 5 hours out.

When i sort my photos by date order it tells me that some were taken on 19Nov at 1159pm, then 2 mins later it's 20Nov at 12:01am when in actual fact it should have been 19Nov at 1159am and the second shot the same date at 1201pm.

The question i have is, is it possible to amend the time a digital photo was taken so i can adjust the time to the correct one?
If it can be done is it easy and can i do a blanket change or must they be done individually??

RAW or JPG? It would depend but you may be able to do it. I would guess you'll have to do them individually unless you want to script it... might be easier to live with the time diff or fix them individually.

they're all jpg files.

if i could do a blanket fix then that would be perfect. if it's to be done one at a time then i'd only sort the ones i was interested in.

the reason is that i'm making dvd of my images so that it plays with music on a standard dvd player. with 2 cameras i was hoping to simply sort by "date picture taken" and that was it but with the time of both cameras incorrect the order of my shots is incorrect.

it's not crucial but would be really helpful.

Is this just the date stamp on the file you see when you look at the directory or are you talking about something embedded in the file? If the file date stamp, there are utilities out there and also some VB code if you are a programmer.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=changing+file+date+stamp&btnG=Search
I haven't tried any, so I don't know if they have any hidden malware.

Yeah thats a good question... I should have asked - I might be going down the wrong road.

markc said:
Is this just the date stamp on the file you see when you look at the directory or are you talking about something embedded in the file? If the file date stamp, there are utilities out there and also some VB code if you are a programmer.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=changing+file+date+stamp&btnG=Search
I haven't tried any, so I don't know if they have any hidden malware.

Mark

it's the embedded date of the file creation the "date picture taken" if you're checking the properties.

if I've to pay for a program then it's not that desperate but if i could change it manually then that would be ideal. I'm not a programmer so VB is out of the question but I'm fairly computer literate so i'm game to try anything.

cheers

Everything I pointed to is for the file date. If it's data that's inside the file, you need software that can modify that. If it's stored in the EXIF data, then you might be able to find something.

The data that was recorded is part of the EXIF data of the digital file that was created. Google "EXIF editor" to see. There's a way to batch process, but I think it might require a software license. They might have a free demo.

My Google results

This one claims to be free. I'm going to play with it, too.

Actually, I'm really crazy busy right now, but let us know if you find a good one. I've always wanted to add "LensBaby" and the aperture size to some of my LB shots, as the camera does not record the lens I used, or what aperture ring was mounted.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back