Charge family or not?

I would do it for free also because it is family but I would have them sign a contract. Just to cover any loose ends and to make everything clear for the both of you. As others on here I also let them know that It could take longer than they might expect since I would have to do any editing in my spare time...which is very valuable! For more tips feel check out 2Create.ca or my blog www.kerrisingh.com

Mother and father get everything free.
Sisters/brothers - pay costs
all others pay normal prices less 20% "mates rates"

Tell them that since you're doing this for free their increasing demands will warrant payment and remind them of your kindness of what you're providing.

I understand the situation you're in and it seems pretty tough to handle. I too have never charged any family members for photos but luckily I haven't run into a situation like yours where they keep wanting more and more work out of me. But if I were in your position, I'd still keep it free but just do it when you actually have the time to do it. If they don't like that, then tough, that's their problem. If you're nice enough to not charge them for something that usually costs a lot of money, then they should be able to be patient and have their photos done on your time only.

I decided a long time ago not to charge family. I do the work on my own time, I actually ask THEM for the shoots so I have those photos of my siblings, my parents and their kids. Why do you do photography? Isn't the greatest thing about it to have a great memory of your family?

Yes, I run a business, and EVERYONE knows I love money ... but seriously, I'd never charge my immediate family. Now everyone else? Long lost cousins, Aunts with a party coming up - I give a standard discount and treat them like a client. I've shot 2 siblings weddings for free and bought their album as a Christmas gift. But I'm close to my family and I'd do it every chance I could.

It would always be FREE for Family....for me

I charge everybody!....a small amount just to let them know that while I give them a huge discount it still takes up some of my time. If it bothers you speak your mind. oh and I make EVERYBODY sign a release form just to protect myself. you can never be too careful.

I cringe, but end up 'helping out for free'... normally cannot see a way out without 'hurting' someone ...

How many of you charge your family to take photos for them or to edit some of thier photos for them? I am noticing I am running into a bit of an issue. I try to be nice to my family and not charge them, but I am noticing more and more especially recently that they are beginning to take advantage of my nice gesture and wanting me to do things for them more often and getting more demanding for me to get things done faster. It never bothered me much before, but now that I have a 4 1/2 month old daughter my time is much more limited and doing all these favors is leaving me no time for my own personal photography. So I guess my question is do you all charge your family for your services or do you give them a free pass? If you do charge do you give a drastic discount? I feel like dealing with family members is a touch subject and I don't want to upset them, but at the same time I take a lot of time out of my days to do something for them with nothing in return.

I cant beg my family to let me take pics. Honestly I get no real encouragement from them so I have never come across this issue. No one has ever asked me to take their pic or edit a pic. Only requests I get are from my mom to take pics of my kids for her but she hates when I take her picture. So does my wife unless she is drunk and half naked. No, there are no pics of this event online so it did not occur. lol.

But if they did ask I would do it for free. But I would do it when I felt like getting around to it. Timely deliverables require payment. From anyone.

I decided a long time ago not to charge family. I do the work on my own time, I actually ask THEM for the shoots so I have those photos of my siblings, my parents and their kids. Why do you do photography? Isn't the greatest thing about it to have a great memory of your family?

Yes, I run a business, and EVERYONE knows I love money ... but seriously, I'd never charge my immediate family. Now everyone else? Long lost cousins, Aunts with a party coming up - I give a standard discount and treat them like a client. I've shot 2 siblings weddings for free and bought their album as a Christmas gift. But I'm close to my family and I'd do it every chance I could.

This is why I got more involved in photography. I wanted to capture better moments with my family while out on vacation. I blame Chicago. Damn you windy city!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back