Choice of fast glass or D7000 first?

cameron65

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
After reading and research I leaning more towards a D7000 than a D300.....but next month I have a fashion photography shooting, indoor and outdoors.

what would I do first; getting a lens AF-S 24-70mm Nikkor F/2.8G ED or saving up for a AF-S 70-200mm Nikkor F/2.8 ED VR II Telephoto Zoom lens OR......first get the camera body D7000?

Its really hard to say because you don't exactly have listed what body you are using, but most likely it will do just fine. You know the camera and how it operates, at least I would assume so you would greatly benefit from the 24-70 rather than a new body with no understanding and ok kit glass. Glass > Body is normally the best advice. Also I prefer wide than a zoom, and with @ 70mm unless in a large studio you wont have much room to move around. Just my .02 but my shooting methods may be a bit different.

Those are some nice and very expensive lenses you listed. There are some less expensive alternatives, especially on the used market.

Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 AF-S VR1 (about $1200 used)
Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 AF D (From $500 for the single ring, $650 for the dual ring, $950 for the AF-S).
Sigma 24-70 f2.8 af, only around $400 on the used market--not quite as good as the nikon, but very close considering how much cheaper it is.

Its really hard to say because you don't exactly have listed what body you are using, but most likely it will do just fine. You know the camera and how it operates, at least I would assume so you would greatly benefit from the 24-70 rather than a new body with no understanding and ok kit glass. Glass > Body is normally the best advice. Also I prefer wide than a zoom, and with @ 70mm unless in a large studio you wont have much room to move around. Just my .02 but my shooting methods may be a bit different.

:blushing: duh...forgot to mention, I have a D80 for the last four years. Glad you gave me some advice about the 24-70 vs the 70-200mm. Makes a lot of sense to go wide instead of zoom.
What I have now is a
Nikon AF 50 mm F/1.8,
Nikon AF-S 70-300 mm VR Zoom F/4.5-5.6G ED-IF
Nikon AF-S 18-70 mm DX Zoom F/3.5-4.5G IF-ED

I am also interested in doing weddings.

Those are some nice and very expensive lenses you listed. There are some less expensive alternatives, especially on the used market.

Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 AF D (From $500 for the single ring, $650 for the dual ring, $950 for the AF-S).
Sigma 24-70 f2.8 af, only around $400 on the used market--not quite as good as the nikon, but very close considering how much cheaper it is.

that Sigma 24-70 F2.8 is appr. $ 670 (Canada) compared to the Nikkor 24-70 $ 1799....yeah a big price difference. Maybe something to consider since it is such a big price difference.

that Sigma 24-70 F2.8 is appr. $ 670 (Canada) compared to the Nikkor 24-70 $ 1799....yeah a big price difference. Maybe something to consider since it is such a big price difference.
Personally I wouldn't ever consider it lol im kinda a stickler when it comes to lens I will only buy Nikkor if it comes to quality but thats your choice. But regardless of who makes it I think that would be a great lens, along with your 70-300 you should have a good setup. Another you should consider is a 35mm, great lens and it would give you an even wider setup @ f1.8.

Personally I wouldn't ever consider it lol im kinda a stickler when it comes to lens I will only buy Nikkor if it comes to quality but thats your choice. But regardless of who makes it I think that would be a great lens, along with your 70-300 you should have a good setup. Another you should consider is a 35mm, great lens and it would give you an even wider setup @ f1.8.

If you're a stickler for quality, then why the 35mm 1.8? The 1.4 is better and only cost six times as much. ;)

$$ is always a consideration. One is sacrificing a bit of quality when using a $600 sigma lens vs. a $2000 nikon lens, but not as much as they're sacrificing if the cost of the nikon glass forces them to skimp on the body and other important factors.

The D80 is still very capable and lacks no earth-shattering features under the D7000; go for the glass.

True, except for a quality CMOS sensor instead of an old-school CCD sensor.

But that only matters if things like dynamic range, color representation and higher iso performance matter to you. ;)

are you gonna shoot strobes indoors? the nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 is a very nice piece of glass ;)

Yep strobes as well. I only need to bring camera plus lenses everything else will be provided.
Think I will wait with d7000 and first get the lens. Might be the Nikkor 24-70.....:drool:

:blushing: duh...forgot to mention, I have a D80 for the last four years. Glad you gave me some advice about the 24-70 vs the 70-200mm. Makes a lot of sense to go wide instead of zoom.
What I have now is a
Nikon AF 50 mm F/1.8,
Nikon AF-S 70-300 mm VR Zoom F/4.5-5.6G ED-IF
Nikon AF-S 18-70 mm DX Zoom F/3.5-4.5G IF-ED

I am also interested in doing weddings.

I've tried focusing that 70-300 in a costco, its dark!

Maybe get the long end covered better w 70/80-200 zoom.

It's also well past time to upgrade ur body.

You ever use the 70-300 at 300?

If no, just trade in both the 18-70 and the 70-200 for an 18-200, and buy the D7000, then sell the D80, once u know how to use the D7000.

I just got one, and its a bit diff than a D90.

I think glass lasts, bodies just get churned very easily at some point. You have an almost identical set of gear to me ironically. I have a D90, the 50 1.8, & the 70-300 VR. In lieu of your 24-70, I have the 16-85 DX VR which is really a nice lens. Get's wide enough as far as I'm concerned and is really sharp and very flexible. I also think that if you do the glass now and then wait for the body, you'll end up with a better configuration down the road with whatever the next body rolls out will be.

Most reactions

Back