christmas pics

JimmyJaceyMom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Normally it's on location outdoors for me but with winter here and the subjects being little kids i am giving indoors a go. ;)
feetrad.jpg

no1.jpg

babydress.jpg

babaybest.jpg

I KNOW THE EDITING ON THIS ONE ISN'T FOR EVERYONE. MOM'S FAVORITE THOUGH - SO I GOTTA SHOW IT. ;)
tpf2.jpg

owen2glow2rad.jpg

1: pulled this one off! Might have been better with a darker background. The shallow DOF makes this one.
2 and 3 are the best of the bunch. They look like candids, light is good, background on two is great.
4 just another cute baby shot, nothing wrong with it but nothing special either.
5. does mom like the editing or the expression? There are several spots that are blown completely out. The hot spots need to be bigger or smaller depending on your intention. Mom might love you forever if you put the color back into just the eyes. (yes its old but people still like it)
6. I don't like anything about this except your concept. High key idea is good. Don't like the expression, his eye's look "funny" highlights are blown out in several places and the big aperture works against you here because his ear is out of focus and in a prominant place in the frame.

as far as shooting inside, if you hadn't shown that last shot I would say you "got it" !

as always, just what spews out of my little mind.
[shrug]

Were these supposed to be "Christmas photos", or they were just taken at Christmas?

LOL just photos taken for the use of Christmas cards and to give to family at holiday time. I didn't even think of how you might have thought they had a Christmas theme - my brain is tired. ;)

1: pulled this one off! Might have been better with a darker background. The shallow DOF makes this one.
2 and 3 are the best of the bunch. They look like candids, light is good, background on two is great.
4 just another cute baby shot, nothing wrong with it but nothing special either.
5. does mom like the editing or the expression? There are several spots that are blown completely out. The hot spots need to be bigger or smaller depending on your intention. Mom might love you forever if you put the color back into just the eyes. (yes its old but people still like it)
6. I don't like anything about this except your concept. High key idea is good. Don't like the expression, his eye's look "funny" highlights are blown out in several places and the big aperture works against you here because his ear is out of focus and in a prominant place in the frame.

thanks for all yout comments and suggestions. I appreciate you taking your time in giving me your advice and thoughts. A lot of my shots are candid. I don't like to be very posed with children rather than 'catch' them being themselves. It's what most of my clients like the best. Of course I do throw in some 'look here and smile' pictures but it's not my favorite way to do it. :) I only like to shoot adults that way.
in number 5 - i like the editing style of Amy Wenzel - www.amywenzel.com she uses very bright, bold pp and sometimes her stuff is so blown that it loses even important detail. This childs mom said she loves the 'different' look to it and she ordered this in print in mutliple sizes and quantities - you never know i guess. :) I thought about adding the color to the eyes but I did some of those when i first learned how and i have come to just really not like selective color for some reason. I should though, give one to mom - you're right she might love it.
And uh oh - there was no concept to the last one - it was completely candid. He woke up from his nap as soon as i got there and laid his head on the pillow and I just took it. Again mom's favorite.. I know I shot that one pretty wide - Very low light - no WAY i was repositioning this kid to get him into better lighting because I personally love the look on his face.
But that's maybe just me ;)
Thanks again for all the time you put into letting me know your thoughts.

wildmaven - yup, I know, I'm an airhead. ;)

Elsaspet - thanks - I'm going to give it another try soon. :)

Hi Kathi,
#6 is actually my favorite from this set!
I'm not digging #2 or 3 so much because the kids look kind of akward in both. I like #4 because his eyes are so sharp, but I think I'd like it more in B&W because baby skin is too pink in photos for my taste;) I just mean the skin color makes him look a bit cold. In #5, I like the eyes, but I agree that the blown out highlights are just a bit too over the edge for my liking. But, yeah, I really like that last one:)

Hi Kathi,
#6 is actually my favorite from this set!
I'm not digging #2 or 3 so much because the kids look kind of akward in both. I like #4 because his eyes are so sharp, but I think I'd like it more in B&W because baby skin is too pink in photos for my taste;) I just mean the skin color makes him look a bit cold. In #5, I like the eyes, but I agree that the blown out highlights are just a bit too over the edge for my liking. But, yeah, I really like that last one:)

thanks April - I'll take these comments into consiredation for sure. I'lltry warming up the skin a bit in 4 maybe? I hate those frilly clothes on kids and my suggestion was to have them in much less, simpler, or the baby even only in a diaper or better yet nothing but she wanted those big uncomfortable christmas dresses (they match and mom liked that, oh boy) I'm dying to try some more and I'm glad you like number 6 because its one of my favorite pics out of all of mine yet altogether, :)

Number 5 is my favorite. Gotta say, though, it must be easy to get good results when you've got such an adorable little model! She is such a doll.

Number 5 is my favorite. Gotta say, though, it must be easy to get good results when you've got such an adorable little model! She is such a doll.

Oh yay! I am glad that someone likes number 5. :) And yes she is a gorgeous child. :)

Admitting it is the first step to recovery. :lmao:

I love the last picture. He looks like an angel who fell to earth for a nap. Love that hair!!! :heart:

hello my name is Kathi and I have been an airhead for about.... 28 years. lol ;)

Anyhow thanks for the comments and you want to know what is really funny about that last picture? That kid is actually very...hmmm, how do i say it... mischevious? lol. Always into something he shouldn't be. Yet in this picture he looks like you said, like and angel. His mother said... 'Well, Satan was the fallen angel.' lol ;)

Nice work Kathi.
I too like the over exposed look that is so popular today, especially with children.
Remember...beauty is in the eye of the buyer. You have made your client happy because you captured the expressions that she loves. She doesn't give a rats ass if there is an ear out of focus!
Keep doing what you're doing!!

Most reactions

Back