Cleaning the lens with spectacle wipes

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can dslr lenses be cleaned with those disposable tissue papers used for glasses? Does it harm the special coating on the lenses? The wipes are coated in a alcoholic substance..

That tutorial is filled with flawed suggestions. Wouldn't even clean my kit lens like that.

I usually use a microfiber cloth and breathe on the lens if I'm out and about (which may not be the best way to do it but I find that to be a practical option). I've also used lens cleaning brushes. If/when I use a liquid cleaner I spray/drop a small amount on the cloth not the lens. I've been using ROR Residual Oil Remover, or have used what I bought at a camera store that was made for lenses.

I usually use a microfiber cloth and breathe on the lens if I'm out and about (which may not be the best way to do it but I find that to be a practical option). I've also used lens cleaning brushes. If/when I use a liquid cleaner I spray/drop a small amount on the cloth not the lens. I've been using ROR Residual Oil Remover, or have used what I bought at a camera store that was made for lenses.

I've heard that your breath contains harmful things that damage the coating on your lens.

Vintage, was just wondering if you find it as frustrating as I do when someone asks for help or advice and then gets snotty with you when you offer it? Lol

"This microfiber cloth is actually very dirty, from cleaning my knives"............ then proceeds to cram it onto the lens anyway.

I don't use any kind of paper on my lenses, nor my eyeglasses. I blow any loose dust off first, which is usually all it really takes, then if necessary use a brush (the brush end of a Lenspen is the only useful end in my opinion) and finally a microfiber cloth made for eyeglasses and my breath. If I use any fluid it's a 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and distilled water.

I've used the Zeiss pre-moistened & sealed cleaning pads for several years with no ill effects.

hamlet said:
I've heard that your breath contains harmful things that damage the coating on your lens.

That's true if you're Godzilla, Mothra, or one of the Deceptacons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vintage, was just wondering if you find it as frustrating as I do when someone asks for help or advice and then gets snotty with you when you offer it? Lol
Only when the advice given has holes in it. I stopped the video you provided at the 41 second mark. Albeit, I will use the rocket blower first, IF ON HAND, but otherwise, a steamy breath across the front element and a swipe with my tee shirt and I'm done. The coating of modern lenses front element is very hard and not that susceptible to scratches. Even with minor scratches, any loss of IQ is not likely to be noticed. If so, there is Photoshop.

You're welcomed.

Only when the advice given has holes in it. I stopped the video you provided at the 41 second mark. Albeit, I will use the rocket blower first, IF ON HAND, but otherwise, a steamy breath across the front element and a swipe with my tee shirt and I'm done. The coating of modern lenses front element is very hard and not that susceptible to scratches. Even with minor scratches, any loss of IQ is not likely to be noticed. If so, there is Photoshop.

You're welcomed.

Well see where I'm from if someone gives you advice that you solicited, if it happens to be something you don't find that useful or helpful, you just thank them for the advice and move on. It's called being gracious. You don't behave like a spoiled brat and throw a tantrum. But to each there own I guess.

Dude, you have been following hamlet. Phuque off with your holier than thou $hit.

And yes, I was being gracious.

My lens cleaning procedure includes a Giotto rocket, Tiffen Lens tissue and a lens pen. I use the lens pen to push the paper around. Sorry but call me old school if you will, I've been cleaning lenses for 35+ years with paper and will continue to do so...nothing works as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back