Close Encounter

GeorgianBayBoy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was standing on the edge of a swamp watching a cow moose grazing on the other side, when she entered the water and swam over to me. She continued grazing and slowly walked towards me, until I had enough and quietly exited to high ground. Last week in Algonquin Park.

Attachments

• Moose-6.jpg
    Moose-6.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 86
Very nice! Get any of the entire critter?

Algonquin park is an amazing place, 3000 square miles and a population of 3000 moose!
Moose-7.jpg
Moose-8.jpg

Last edited:
nice shots.

i am not sure i would want the moose close to me. seen a show on tv in the break room at work one day, the police in Alaska taking care of a angry moose on a rampage so now i think i would be a bit scared of those things.

I certainly had no intention of being this close to it. It approached me and I was not wanting to make a noise and startle it. I slowly and quietly backed out of the marsh into the treeline where I was safer and able to climb a tree if needed. It was an exciting day.

Very nicely done. Good thing a young'en was not around. You might of been in serious trouble

Those look like massive animals.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Very nicely done. Good thing a young'en was not around. You might of been in serious trouble

Not true, at least not with the moose in Algonquin I'm there at least twice a month and have seen many moms and young moose. They aren't aggressive. They will quickly leave the area if you approach.

OP, very nice shots! I was up there twice last week and didn't see a single moose. I do hear that there is an Eastern wolf around that people are getting some really nice shots of.

Last edited:
Thanks Barb, I really didn't know how to convey the gentle nature of Algonquin park moose to those whom have never experienced them. Wasn't even going to try. But thank you for doing so!
I hear there is a moose carcass being devoured by bears and wolves, in a river in the park. know where that is? I'm heading there on Wednesday.

Not usually true, at least not with the moose in Algonquin I'm there at least twice a month and have seen many moms and young moose. They aren't normally aggressive. They will usually quickly leave the area if you approach.
Fixed that for you Barb. In all seriousness, while these particular mooesesesss may normally be fairly docile, taking chances is foolish, especially when it's a mother and calf. You never know what may spook them, and even if it's just a panic flight, if she runs over you, you stay runned over! The OPs situation was unusual, and IMO, he did exactly the right thing, but assuming that just because it's an Algonquin Park moose it won't become aggressive could lead to a prolonged hospital stay. If it came to a choice between an angry moose and an angry bear, I'd much rather deal with the bear!

Great shots!

Statistically speaking moose are far more dangerous than bears or wolves. Moose regardless of what park they are in will charge if they feel threatened. It sounds like you did the right thing. I know you did not intentionally put yourself in harms way.

I love these people that raised lions,Chimps or any other animal that can easily over power a human and think they are docile because they where raised by human hands.Yeah, good luck with that.I got chased by a adult raccoon and though I think I could have taken it, I was not about to visit at the ER for rabies vaccines.

Smart Move backing up to safety and still getting some nice shots off. If you ever do get close again in the near future,can I give you my shipping address In advance for consideration of your camera gear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back