Clueless with Cameras....Please Help!

scholls22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am clueless with photography but would like to learn and get into it. I have always had simple point and shoot cameras. I am now in the market possibly for a SLR camera. I have a question and I know it sounds stupid. Anyways, I went into Best Buy and the guy was knowledgeable, however, definitely trying to push me in one direction. I have a really basic question for you and it deals with camera zoom. Most of the pics my wife and I take are of our children. However, occasionally we are at a concert or sporting event and the optical zooms leave a lot left to be desired. So I started pricing some moderately priced SLR cameras and found the Nikon D5100. I see the lens is 18-55mm, I also see that equals to about a 3x zoom. How is that lens going to compare to a lens with a Panasonic Lumix+DMC-ZS19K with a 20x zoom? Can anyone offer suggestions on which way to go?

Panasonic - Lumix DMC-ZS19K 14.1-Megapixel Digital Camera - DMC-ZS19K

Nikon - D5100 16.2-Megapixel DSLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens - Black - D5100 with 18-55mm VR Lens

Thanks!!!!

The Panasonic is going to allow you to zoom in much more closely, BUT with greatly reduced image quality. The long end of the 18-55mm lens would give you a view something like a 1.5x - 2x pair of binoculars, so not a lot, BUT it will be a much better image.

The simple fact is that neither the Panasonic or the D5100 with the 18-55mm lens are going to be adequate for most concert or sporting events. There's a reason that professionals have those monsterous great lenses (with accompying monsterous great price-tags); because they need them! Now, for shots of your family, children, and most things, the D5100 would be an excellent choice and will yield far superior results when compared to the Panasonic.

Well - those are two very different cameras.

The Panasonic will be a really nice point and shoot. It will be much more lightweight, and occupy much less space. For what you describe, it probably wouldnt be such a bad match. Its however so new, I cant find a good camera test for it. It has a leica lens and thats a good name, though.

The D5100 is a SLR. That means you can get all kinds of lenses for it. A cheap one is the 70-200 mm VR DX. You will still not rock with sporting events, since for that you need a fast autofocus. You can also, for example, get a 35mm F/1.8 DX lens for it, which allows you to work without flash much longer than with any zoom objective.

Besides, you can get the D5100 without any lens, or with a 18-55mm, or with a 18-110mm.

The Panasonic will be a really nice point and shoot. It will be much more lightweight, and occupy much less space. For what you describe, it probably wouldnt be such a bad match. Its however so new, I cant find a good camera test for it. It has a leica lens and thats a good name, though.

The D5100 is a SLR. That means you can get all kinds of lenses for it. A cheap one is the 70-200 mm VR DX. You will still not rock with sporting events, since for that you need a fast autofocus. You can also, for example, get a 35mm F/1.8 DX lens for it, which allows you to work without flash much longer than with any zoom objective.

Besides, you can get the D5100 without any lens, or with a 18-55mm, or with a 18-110mm.

I can get the camera alone for 549.00 on sale from 749.00 at Best Buy. Would I do better buying a different lens or pay 650 and get the one included in the sale?

Thanks for everyone's input

scholls22 said:
I can get the camera alone for 549.00 on sale from 749.00 at Best Buy. Would I do better buying a different lens or pay 650 and get the one included in the sale?

I'd get the kit lens. It's actually a good lens to start with. Not the greatest zoom or the best in low light but can get pretty good image quality for its price

Problem is that any lens that's going to do good shooting concerts is going to cost at least as much as the camera, more than likely a lot more. The 18-55mm is a capable, decent all around lens, but 55mm isn't much reach at a concert.

I got my deal at Best Buy on line a couple of years ago. I got the D5000, TWO "kit" lenses, the 18-55 VR, and the 55-200 VR, a small bag, and a cheap tripod. I won't confuse you with what I paid, because times and prices change. While neither one of these lenses are "fast", they still produce adequate pictures, and they are great to learn on.

I think the Panasonic may be what is called a "point and shoot", and the reason they can do that is because the lens is designed to produce a deep depth of field, meaning nearly everything you see will be in focus, more or less.

Without spending a lot of time doing the research on lenses, you probably won't be able to make up your mind on a faster, more costly lens anyway, so go ahead and get whichever lens the retailer is willing to package with the camera body.

I am clueless with photography but would like to learn and get into it. I have always had simple point and shoot cameras. I am now in the market possibly for a SLR camera. I have a question and I know it sounds stupid. Anyways, I went into Best Buy and the guy was knowledgeable, however, definitely trying to push me in one direction. I have a really basic question for you and it deals with camera zoom. Most of the pics my wife and I take are of our children. However, occasionally we are at a concert or sporting event and the optical zooms leave a lot left to be desired. So I started pricing some moderately priced SLR cameras and found the Nikon D5100. I see the lens is 18-55mm, I also see that equals to about a 3x zoom. How is that lens going to compare to a lens with a Panasonic Lumix+DMC-ZS19K with a 20x zoom? Can anyone offer suggestions on which way to go?

Panasonic - Lumix DMC-ZS19K 14.1-Megapixel Digital Camera - DMC-ZS19K

Nikon - D5100 16.2-Megapixel DSLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens - Black - D5100 with 18-55mm VR Lens

Thanks!!!!

I suggest you get the Nikon, and I also suggest you don't buy it from Best Buy. Adorama, or B&H are much better places to shop.

o hey tyler said:
I suggest you get the Nikon, and I also suggest you don't buy it from Best Buy. Adorama, or B&H are much better places to shop.

Oh no Tyler you just turned the OP's world upside down!

o hey tyler said:

Oh no Tyler you just turned the OP's world upside down!

I N C E P T I O N

Even though I used to work at Best Buy and loved it, I would also recommend getting your stuff online from B&H, etc. Mainly to avoid paying sales tax.

Why not consider a bridge camera? I have a Nikon P100 and find it very reliable and versatile.

Now you tell me! :blushing:

Now you tell me! :blushing:

Sorry buddy! Consider the lesson learned. ;) If I catch wind of you purchasing more equipment from Best Buy, I'll flood your inbox with inappropriate hate mail!

:D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back