What's new

Cocktails....

Alright. here is another good summer evening drink... Clean. Refreshing. Yum

HotelII by keips66, on Flickr
-FIXED-
Hotel Nacionale Speciale by keips66, on Flickr
Shake it up. Strain it. Enjoy...
I used a good aged rum.
5 exposures. near sundown. overcast, muggy evening in NorCal.


Leeroix, what are the measurements for each individual item in this drink?

Thanks!
 
I don't drink any alcoholic beverages at all, so I have no interest in that aspect of these.

Nonetheless, I really love the photos you're producing with this series. I think they're just perfect for menus and other promotional materials. Well done!
 
Its pretty good drink:)
1.5oz aged rum (I used Brugal, but use your favorite)
.75oz fresh lime juice
.75oz Pineapple Gum Syrup - ordered from smallhandfoods.com
.5oz apricot brandy
 
Thanks Buckster! Im running out of ideas for staging. Have to get creative in the next series.
 
Put it in the hands of a willing subject, lips about to sip from the rim... you get the idea.
 
^Yep. by all means, use those. The particular store I was in did not have Flor de Cana. :)
 
Proper model shot in the near future...

This is delicious. It makes the searing pain of my Raiders losing to Indy a little easier...

PortOfSpain by keips66, on Flickr
Enjoy...
 

bourbon by keips66, on Flickr
Caged Heat (modified) - Bulleit, Carpano Antica, Lemon, Real Grenadine, Chile Tincture.
 
Last edited:
Me, enjoying a real Manhattan...
cocktail by keips66, on Flickr
24" soft box to camera left, camera on timer...
 
Love the lighting and comp and the pose. My only nitpick would be that the angle kind of makes your right leg - the knee to foot portion - look disproportionately large. Maybe a slightly higher perspective and the focus on the drink rather than your shin?

I also want to know your Manhattan recipe :)
 
Yeah I see what you mean. It does bother me, but I almost threw this shot out completely. It was hard to manipulate the camera on the timer, sit down, take a sip and relax, without spilling a drop. With all those movements, I couldn't get the position perfected. So, this is more of a candid, lifestyle shot. The drink: I used Bulleit, Carpano Antica, Bittercube bitters, and an Orange rind. (I ran out of Luxardo Cherries) The essential part of a good Manhattan, is the Carpano Antica, which can be poured over rocks and enjoyed alone... its that good.
 
Yeah I see what you mean. It does bother me, but I almost threw this shot out completely. It was hard to manipulate the camera on the timer, sit down, take a sip and relax, without spilling a drop. With all those movements, I couldn't get the position perfected. So, this is more of a candid, lifestyle shot.

Well, I think it's pretty damn good in those conditions! But as I said, it was only a nitpick and doesn't ruin the shot for me. I still think it's definitely a keeper.

The drink: I used Bulleit, Carpano Antica, Bittercube bitters, and an Orange rind. (I ran out of Luxardo Cherries) The essential part of a good Manhattan, is the Carpano Antica, which can be poured over rocks and enjoyed alone... its that good.

You've got the best recipes! I'm not that fond of vermouth, but perhaps I just haven't found the right one. Gonna have to try that Carpano Antica. And I love that you've got it in a proper glass :)

You might be interested in this: Bitters
This is a guy local to me (opposite coast, sorry! But they have an internet shop.) that makes his own soda syrups and he's got a fantastic variety of bitters (not his own.)

My boyfriend and I have been making aged Manhattans, experimenting with some tea-infused white dog and different bitters in a 1-liter barrel we bought from a local distillery. So far they've been really interesting, and they get even more so as the barrel is seasoned.
 
^sounds awesome! That site is cool, I may be ordering some stuff from it :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom