Color selected photos....whats your take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Selective color is the mullet hairstyle of the photo world. Selective color is the wife-beater and a 16-ounce can of Hamms beer of the underclass. Selective color is the hitch-hiking to see your girlfriend at the womens prison of white trash society. Selective color is the ________________ of ______________.

Love the Hamms beer reference. Takes me back to the good old days when I developed the taste for beer at the ripe young age of (way too young)! I have not seen a can since moving from the Midwest in the 70's. I miss the commercials. :cry:

Ha we have Hamms all over out here and Ranier too

Congratulations on placing your work in museums, ilovemycam. Mere weeks ago it seemed that you'd had no luck at all with that!

Selective color is to digital photography what hammer pants are to fashion.

Oh, and you can't touch dis.

"hyper-real" HDR? Real is sort of binary. It either is or isn't. In my experience, very few people complain about the more "real" looking HDRs. They complain about the crazy over-the-top highly-saturated ones. Which category are you in, really?

And I'd like to point out that in one sentence you said, "They pay the bills, you just do the grunt work. You must give the client what they want." and then you said "People put down my hyper-real HDR color work all the time. I love it and I have put many of them in museums and prestigious rare book libraries. So I don't care if others hate them. As long as I am happy with my work that is all that counts."

So which is it? If your clients didn't like your "hyper-real" style, would you put your opinions aside and give them what they want, or do what you're happy with?

I dunno. You just seem sort of all over the map, and you're sort of puffing out your chest with the thing about you being in museums and... rare book libraries???

i vote for chest puffing.

"hyper-real" HDR? Real is sort of binary. It either is or isn't. In my experience, very few people complain about the more "real" looking HDRs. They complain about the crazy over-the-top highly-saturated ones. Which category are you in, really?

And I'd like to point out that in one sentence you said, "They pay the bills, you just do the grunt work. You must give the client what they want." and then you said "People put down my hyper-real HDR color work all the time. I love it and I have put many of them in museums and prestigious rare book libraries. So I don't care if others hate them. As long as I am happy with my work that is all that counts."

So which is it? If your clients didn't like your "hyper-real" style, would you put your opinions aside and give them what they want, or do what you're happy with?

I dunno. You just seem sort of all over the map, and you're sort of puffing out your chest with the thing about you being in museums and... rare book libraries???

^Ditto! Especially after seeing the images! Heck, some people consider the "Dogs Shooting Pool" image to be art... so I guess someone might think those were art?

^Ditto! Especially after seeing the images! Heck, some people consider the "Dogs Shooting Pool" image to be art... so I guess someone might think those were art?

i'm not a huge fan of the particular shots that ilovemycam referenced either... but i think his/her post is spot on and relevant. do what you like, i wouldn't put too much stress on being a TPF hero. i mean unless you find the quality of the work here just utterly mind blowing, truly consider the weight of the opinion here (at least with respect to producing shots that YOU naturally find important). in the end what really is the value of a homogenized perspective of some internet forum? it's bound to be a bit of a compromise of many styles, and most importantly it's probably a good bit divorced from your own vision.

that said there is a value in cc and exploring what others think, but take it in perspective with what YOU think.

Last edited:
I do not and never have liked selective coloring. It looks cheap and unprofessional to me, and frankly, I get shocked to see how many people still like it. But I'm also a fan of everyone using their own "vision." So, whatever floats your boat.

@ Runnah

Side note....Jeremy Clarkson in the Ariel Atom is the greatest car video ever lol

.Jeremy Clarkson is the biggest prick going, you know he was banned from driving ? for drink driving

I'd still kick it with him....The U.K. (and pretty much most civilized countries for that matter) have much stricter DUI laws than the good old U.S. of A here....I think its because the government in the U.K. may actually want their people the stay alive.

I'd still kick it with him....The U.K. (and pretty much most civilized countries for that matter) have much stricter DUI laws than the good old U.S. of A here....I think its because the government in the U.K. may actually want their people the stay alive.

The bloke is a knob i wouldnt give him the time of day

if it makes me money i will do it for them.i have been asked to do
selective coloring on some pictures.i dont care for it but if they paying,dont matter to me.

It has become something of a cliché but, per se, selective colour isn't a bad thing, and, done well, it can still be very effective.

5 pages of the same comments. .. ugh. The pain...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back