Color Spaces

sgbphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I ran into something a little odd. I shoot in Adobe RGB raw. Then I import my raw files into Lightroom and do basic color correction and other adjustments. Finally I export as PSD files to do my final work in Photoshop. My lab wants files with sRGB profile so when I am finished, I convert the profile and save as a high quality JPG. Now here's the thing that is bothering me: If I export my files from Lightroom as sRGB I get no color loss. However, if I export as Adobe RGB and then convert to sRGB with Photoshop, I see a noticable difference in the color. Any idea what's going on here? Furthermore, I would love some opinions about advantages to using 16bit vs 8bit, Adobe RGB vs sRGB.

Thanks!!!!!

I shoot in Adobe RGB raw.
However, if I export as Adobe RGB and then convert to sRGB with Photoshop, I see a noticable difference in the color.

Quick question: Are you sure that you are converting from Adobe RGB to sRGB and not just assigning sRGB? There should be no significant change in colour if you convert from Adobe RGB to sRGB, though there may be some subtle reduction in the gamut.

Raw is not really in a colour space other than the sensor's native colour space, by the way - which you don't get to choose.

Best,
Helen

Edit:
Previous threads about colour space

link 1

link 2

Last edited:
I would just find a new lab that will accept Adobe RBG,
After all you shoot and edit in Adobe RBG, it is not hard to find a lab that will accept Adobe RBG. I find that anyone who is only acepting sRGB is not set up to deal with the quality level pros require.
I had one company tell me to convert my files so I did, but the gamut is just not good enough and the prints reflected it. I have done side by side smaples and it is not worth it to convert to sRGB.

Ummm... Millers actually prefers sRGB, and not only are they an incredibly well respected lab, but their quality is phenomenal. Bit of an over-generalization to right off some great labs based on something that's not noticeable 99% of the time.

And for the OP, Lightroom actually operates in ProPhoto. So, really you're going from RAW to ProPhoto to sRGB or Adobe RGB.

Helen--I know that raw is not a color space. What I meant to say is "I shoot raw and have my camera set to Adobe RGB"

Most reactions

Back