Combining multiple exposures/images

gossamer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm an avid amateur photographer and photoshop enthusiast but not very experienced. I have a D500 and was experimenting with the "Multiple exposures" option in the camera that allows you to combine multiple pictures automatically. I was using this feature in preparation of a photoshoot tomorrow with a woman who is a yoga instructor, and thought it would add an interesting perspective.

The difference between one picture and the next for my photoshoot is an arm movement or leg movement for a model who is otherwise completely still.

I know the difference between what I'm trying to do and HDR using multiple pictures with different exposures. That's not what I want to do here. I just want to stack multiple pictures on top of each other, revealing only the differences between each for the final picture.

My testing showed that it doesn't really do what I want. The differences between each picture are very faint. It didn't quite provide the effect I was expecting.

How can I do this in photoshop or lightroom? All the tutorials I've seen involve many steps including layer masks and either using brushes or different blending options. That might be okay for HDR, or even the built-in options in photohop/lightroom for HDR or panorama's, but with more than a few pictures and those options don't work.

Here's the example I created using the built-in multiple exposure feature on my D500:
36710070434_633eb90bea.jpg

This is a series of six separate pictures combined together by the camera. How can I use photoshop or lightroom to do something similar, but to show the full detail of each picture on top of each other, instead of the "ghosting" that appears here?

Blending options in Ps should make it quicker than masking. A clean background will help also.

Sure, youtube or google ;)

I like Phlearn and CreativeLive for Ps techniques but there are tons out there.

Sure, youtube or google ;)

I like Phlearn and CreativeLive for Ps techniques but there are tons out there.
Yeah, that's kind of the problem - everyone's got one, but doesn't mean they're reliable or suitable. I'll take a look again, thanks.

Phlearn is reliable IMO, creative live is pretty good as well I own the complete Ps course with Ben Willmore its pretty good shows many ways you could acomplish your goal. I would cross reference and practice all texhniques from a multitude of instructors if possible if you want to get good at it.

There is a free "On Air" class called " Stop Making Excuses" by Gary John Bishop. That might be helpful as well ;) Im J/K kinda.

Suitability of the content I suppose lies in your court.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back