What's new

Comments and Critique

thomhend

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 7, 2013
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
Idaho
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am just finishing up my first semester of photography classes, and I have loved it. Here are a couple pictures from my final portfolio, I would appreciate feedback or tips that anyone has. Thanks!

$Marysville4.webp


$Portfolio7.webp
 
I am just finishing up my first semester of photography classes, and I have loved it. Here are a couple pictures from my final portfolio, I would appreciate feedback or tips that anyone has. Thanks!

Shot number one I like, but at least to my eye it looks over saturated by post processing. Shot number two, well not sure why you chose portrait orientation for this but it just really doesn't work for me personally, just seems like the composition here is off. I would have much preferred to see this as a landscape, and I think it might have also benefited by moving a little closer to the building. Just my 2 cents worth of course, YMMV
 
I rather like both, 'though I agree that the first seems to be a bit over-saturated. I would also try and level it as it appears to have a bit of a lean to it. #2 works IMO; I like the extreme DoF and the way your eye is pulled right from the foreground all the way through the image.
 
tip: don't upload a fullsize picture, it takes forever to view. make the picture max 1200 on width and 900 on height. We can see enough detail and it will load much faster than a 2 meg original.
 
Thanks for the tips guys! I will definitely take them into consideration.
 
Shot 1- I think that if you had shot it from a lower angle you could of used the streams lines more to give the pic a nicer flow. Also agree that it's over saturated a bit.
 
Here is how I would have edited the first one:

$Marysville4.webp

Note that this is just my style and isn't the 'right' way to handle a photo like this. I added a subtle vignette and a couple different gradient maps with different blend modes to create a more 'moody' look to it with different colouring.

The second has some potential with the house and the fog, but as stated before the orientation throws me. I see what you are going for there and it can be pulled off in many situations, but this one lacks interesting content in the foreground for it to work. The weeds and patches of snow isn't enough to make it something special IMO. Keep at it, post more as you progress.

$Canada-Alberta-BanffNationalPark-LakeLouise-Early-Morning-Sun.webp
This is the kinda shot that works for that orientation.
 
I definitely prefer shot #2. The limited color palette, the slight distortion of scale with that chunk of ice in the foreground, the balance--all make for a fresh perspective on an overly photographed subject. It's a terrific shot.

The first shot, although executed well enough, I have seen 100 times or more.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom