Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently do not have a decent camera, but hope to soon get one, if I can save a little money. I have a friend that is a professional photographer, and he suggested that I look for a Canon AE-1 Program. I was just wondering if anyone had any comments on that suggestion? Is it a good camera for someone who has never used an SLR? I'm trying to load myself up on information before I do any purchasing, so I'd like as much feedback on this as possible! (sucks being poor...gotta over analyze EVERY FINANCIAL DECISION!)

Its a great manual camera to learn photography with. The only thing you have to worry about with cannon manual cameras is the infamous squeek.

when you buy one make sure it was recently serviced, i.e cleaned and lubed, then you won't have a problem. The reason for the squeek is back when they were manufactured in the 70's and 80's Cannon used a lubricant that has a tendancy to dry out over time, make the parts inside squeek, its a common Cannon problem, but also an easy fix for a technician, some people relube them thereselves, though i wouldn't recommend it until you know more about the camera and how it functions.

Yes, they are great cameras, but if you're getting into buying one, make sure, as Havoc mentioned, that it doesn't have what I call the "duck quack". The part about that sound that sucks the most is, there's not really a set price to have this fixed. You're talking an estimate of roughly between $100-$150 just to have them go completely through the whole machine.

Honestly, if you were considering a Canon AE-1, I would recommend a Minolta X-700. Basically the same camera, but of course uses MF Minolta lenses. If you don't have any commitment with lenses, you should seriously give that one a look.

The Canon AE-1 cameras were the most popular 35mm SLRs of the 80s. I've seen dozens, and only two didn't have the "quack" (as described above). When I worked at a camera store our repair guy that we sent everything out to actually stopped offering service on AE-1s; he said that it was becoming hard to find spare parts. Something to think about.

Now I'll give you my pitch for the perfect beginners' 35mm SLR: the Pentax K-1000 w/50mm lens. This camera is cheap, durable, and has everything you need to learn on, with no bells and whistle to get in your way. You can probably find one in beautiful condition for under $100.

Thanks for all the great advice! This is exactly why I joined this forum! I've been taking pictures, and loving it for years, but I really am completly new to the hobbie...in the sense that the pictures I have been taking over the years have all been w/ point and shoot cameras. I have never even used an SLR yet!!! I have been reading up on them and the accessories, though, so I do have at least a halfway decent amount of knowledge at the moment, just never had anything to practice the knowledge on. Once again, thanks everyone! I really do appreciate it!b I keep you updated on my progress and let you know what I end up getting!

Just thought I'd let you all know that I DID purchase a Canon AE-1 Program off of Ebay!!! I got it about a week ago, and I've been trying to teach myself how to use it since (it didn't come with a manual). I've never used an SLR camera, but I think I'm doing pretty good. I'm LOVING this camera! Hopefully soon I'll have some pictures to post!

Most reactions

Back