Compact MF cameras?

Discussion in 'Medium Format & Large Format' started by earthmanbuck, Jan 1, 2018.

1. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Walk-around MF cameras are mostly relics that were never made to stand up to heavy, long-term use. Pro level Mamiya 645/6x7 and Bronica 645/6x6 were and are likely to be in better shape if you shop carefully. You might get lucky with an old folder but the fore-mentioned brands with interchangeable lenses and backs are simply more durable. Most are tripod cameras since they earned their keep in studios. Frankly, if you want that sort of IQ in a small form factor, then you should be looking at digital not crusty old roll film cameras. Been there but YMMV, as usual.

2. john.margetts

john.margetts No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Zeiss Ikon only made durable cameras. If anything, they were over engineered. I have yet to come across a faulty Zeiss Ikon camera amongst the dozen or so I have in my collection. My oldest Zeiss folder is from 1926 and is in excellent condition.

As far as image quality goes, medium format film produces a very high mage quality - it is different to anything digital can produce and certainly not inferior.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A-yup. Totally agree. :icon_thumbsup:

4. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Let's just say you've been lucky. Leaky bellows and gummy shutters are simply age-related maladies many examples of these fine cameras suffer from--problems that have little to do with build quality. In 2018 they'd be easier to love if competent service was more widely available. No interest in kicking the film/digital binary.

5. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

My parents had a Rolleicord that just sat in the closet. I pulled it out a few times just to look through it, but for some reason I never loaded it with film and took it out. Of course I don't remember seeing anybody in the 80's shooting with such cameras from the 50's.

From handling the camera I can say that it seemed plenty portable and does not feel that big when handling it - in part as your looking down and holding it in both hands.

6. OldManJim

OldManJim No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

Agree with the comments on Zeiss. I have an Ikonta B that apparently was a WWII "bring back" and sat in someone's closet for decades. I'm getting it CLA'd and am looking forward to shooting it. Folded up, it fits nicely in a jacket pocket - but you need a light meter in the other pocket!