What's new

Compatibility

cccott3

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 3, 2011
Messages
148
Reaction score
3
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
K so I currently have a canon rebel xs and I purchased a sigma 50mm 1.4 lens and I have been looking into updating my camera (within the next year) I'm leaning towards a nikon 7000. Would i be able to use the sigma in the nikon? Or should I send it back (I just got it in today) untill I get the nikon??
 
Canon and Nikon have different lens mount designs.

Canon has the EF-S and EF-mounts, and Nikon uses the F-mount.
 
Well shoot! Ok maybe I will see if they will trade it??
 
When you purchase a lens from a '3rd party manufacture' like Sigma or Tamron, you can get it in one of a few different mounts. You probably bought it with a Canon mount, so it will only work with Canon cameras. If you get a Nikon camera, you would have to get the Nikon version of the lens.

So why are you thinking of switching from Canon to Nikon? There are plenty of upgrade options within the Canon line up, that will allow you to keep & use any Canon mount lenses that you already have. And remember, it's the photographer, not the camera, that makes the biggest difference to the photos.
 
Well Im could be WAY off but from what I have read the nikon is an awesome camera. I have a canon rebel xs and want to upgrade. From what i have read it seems like the nikon7000 is comparable to the canon d40 but is priced closer to the d60 (I have read really bad reviews on the d60) I am looking for a camera that is more on a pro level than entry level that I can grow into. I'm not a pro photographer but I enjoy taking pictures of my family. My budget I'd around $1500 ... Please help :)
 
The D7000 is a good camera, but so is the Canon 50D or 60D. (Canon models are usually number then 'D', Nikon does the opposite).

The 60D does have some 'less than great' reviews...but I've found that most complaints about these cameras are because the reviewer wanted Canon to release a 'better' model at a lower price. So they are partially reviewing the camera based on their expectations, not on the merits of the camera itself. On top of that, the 60D upset a lot of people because it didn't follow the path that started with the 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D & 50D. The 60D is a smaller, lighter (more plastic, less metal) than the previous model (50D)...so people were not happy about that. But if you step back and look at the Canon line up, the 60D now sits perfectly between the Rebel T3i and the 7D.

On the plus side, the 60D is one of the only DSLR cameras with an articulating screen. It seems like a gimmick, but having seen it in-person, it's actually pretty cool. It has all the latest features that you would expect from a mid-level Canon DSLR. On the down side, it's smaller than the 50D, and the ergonomics may not be the best fit for some people. The Rebels (and probably the 60D) are a bit small in my big hands, but it may be a perfect fit for you. Also, 18 mega pixels is quite a bit for an APS-C sensor, so the image quality, especially at high ISO, may not be as good as it could be. I don't know if a similar Nikon is going to be any better or worse.

For $1500, you are just in reach of the Canon 7D. This is a good step up from the Rebels or the 60D. Maybe not so much in image quality, but the camera body itself is more 'pro like' and it's got a much more advanced AF system (shoots faster too).

Another alternative for an upgrade might be a used 50D or even a 40D. Getting a less expensive camera would leave you more money for better lenses. And on that point, what lenses do you have now? More often than not, you'll get more of an 'upgrade' if you buy better lenses, than buying a new camera.
So a question to you...what is it about your current camera that makes you want to upgrade so much?
 
Thanks Mike for you reply. Clearly I'm super confused on what camera is best for me! I have my kit lens and I just got my sigma 50mm 1.4 in and have not even opened it. I do understand that the photographer is what makes the picture and not the camera. But at the same time if the camera had nothing to do with it at all why would anyone upgrade their camera? I guess I dont have a good reason except I just want to upgrade and right now I can. Lol my biggest issue is what camera is right for me and how the heck am i supposed to figure that out?
 
I'd suggest going into a good camera store where you can see, and get your hands on, the different models. When seen side by side, it's much easier to compare the models. You may find that something like the Rebel T3i fits you best, or you may find that even the 60D is too small for you.

And going back to your original question...if you do want to jump to Nikon, that's a viable option...but you'd have to return your Sigma lens and buy a new 'kit' lens with the Nikon. But then you'd be left with your old Canon camera & lens, which you probably wouldn't use anymore and it probably won't get your much on the used market if you wanted to sell it. So I still say that sticking to Canon is best...but if you really want a Nikon, then it's better to 'jump ship' earlier, rather than later when you have even more Canon gear.
 
Have you played around with your sisters nikon? Granted it's not a d7000 but it might give you an idea of what brand to go with!
 
I love my 60D, I know a few others who have them and like it too. I don't know if canon or nikkon is better, but I'd prefer to tell someone I'm going to shoot them with my canon, than shoot them with my nikkon. It just sounds better.
 
I love my 60D, I know a few others who have them and like it too. I don't know if canon or nikkon is better, but I'd prefer to tell someone I'm going to shoot them with my canon, than shoot them with my nikkon. It just sounds better.

Insightful, truly insightful...
 
shootermcgavin said:
I love my 60D, I know a few others who have them and like it too. I don't know if canon or nikkon is better, but I'd prefer to tell someone I'm going to shoot them with my canon, than shoot them with my nikkon. It just sounds better.

That's funny!
 
@MTV I am checking out my sisters now:) and ya I'm really all over the place with this camera thing :(
 
Ok ya do I'm not sure how I feel about the nikon? Say I did stick with canon what would be a good canon for around $1500 that not considered an entry level?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom