What's new

Competetion - taking a photo of someone elses art ??

ottor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Feb 7, 2009
Messages
935
Reaction score
173
Location
S. Idaho
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There's a local "Photograph" contest in town .... I have a photograph of some "Street Art" that was captured in the same town. I don't know the artist, but would it seem improper to take a photo of his painted art on an alley door, and submit that in a photo competition ? It would include the wall, as well as the door with the art on it. I just feel funny about doing that, but is it any different than capturing grafitti ?? - Just need a little input..

tks

 
If it makes you uncomfortable that look for another image. I do not think there would be a problem with the image as it is part of a wall ....might be a fine line though.
 
Well, prior to THIS post I wouldn't have had a problem with it, but... It's a little sketchy for me.
 
If the other artist's work is the sole focus of your image, than I would say it's not appropriate (and potentially a violation), however if the image is part of a larger scene in which the art is but one element, than I would think it should acceptable.
 
I don't see a thing wrong in taking a picture of the art. It would be the same as taking a picture of a building or car etc.etc.
It probably wasn't painted just for the persons personal viewing. If it was something painted on someones property just for their viewing then it would be a problem. Go for it and I hope you win.
 
I don't see a thing wrong in taking a picture of the art. It would be the same as taking a picture of a building or car etc.etc.
It probably wasn't painted just for the persons personal viewing. If it was something painted on someones property just for their viewing then it would be a problem. Go for it and I hope you win.
The gain by winning the contest would make it a violation. Entering it in the competition would be attempting to gain from it
 
Last edited:
I don't see a thing wrong in taking a picture of the art. It would be the same as taking a picture of a building or car etc.etc.
It probably wasn't painted just for the persons personal viewing. If it was something painted on someones property just for their viewing then it would be a problem. Go for it and I hope you win.

That's not how copyrights work. We have a 'rule' in the electrical trade called Charlie's Rule: It doesn’t say what you think it says, nor what you remember it to have said, nor what you were told that it says, and certainly not what you want it to say. And if by chance you are its author, it doesn’t say what you intended it to say. Then what does it say? It says what it says. So if you want to know what it says, stop trying to remember what it says, and don’t ask anyone else. Go back and read it, and pay attention as though you were reading it for the first time.



 
I don't understand what the violation would be. It is a public building or door. Does that mean any photo with a building or wall in it would be up for a lawsuit??
 
I don't understand what the violation would be. It is a public building or door. Does that mean any photo with a building or wall in it would be up for a lawsuit??


Technically, the artwork is copyrighted by the artist. The fact that it's in the public's view does not change that fact. This is no different than a painting on canvas displayed at a street art show.

Taking a photo of it (for monetary gain) would be considered derivative work. If the artist wanted to initiate a lawsuit, that's well within his/her rights.

You might want to read what the law says.

Oh, and yes, I have Charlie's permission to post his 'rule'.
 
I don't understand what the violation would be. It is a public building or door. Does that mean any photo with a building or wall in it would be up for a lawsuit??


Technically, the artwork is copyrighted by the artist. The fact that it's in the public's view does not change that fact. This is no different than a painting on canvas displayed at a street art show.

Taking a photo of it (for monetary gain) would be considered derivative work. If the artist wanted to initiate a lawsuit, that's well within his/her rights.

You might want to read what the law says.

Oh, and yes, I have Charlie's permission to post his 'rule'.

Well, I am easy to get along with. Don't submit it.

Sparky, I like your avatar. I am a retired electrician and have seen a few of those times.

Richard
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom