Composition Advice

DMadrid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello Photographers! My Intro to Photography class is going great! But I would really appreciate if you could help me with compostion techniques... $DSC_0231.jpgDoes this photo applies to the Diagonal rule of composition? What is an example of a photo with horizontal rule of composition? Frame an object using a creative technique? Visual responses are welcome! Thanks soo much in advance! This page is great :)

Steady now, we're not going to do your homework for you, you know! ;) This image is what I would call an 'incomplete composition'; that is: The crane boom serves as a leading line and starts at a foreground corner which is good, but it goes right out of the back of the image. There's no clear subject (nb. leading lines lead the eye to the subject, they are not, of themselves, the subject). Think of a set of railroad tracks with a person standing on them; the tracks lead the eye to the person. This image is missing the person. As well, watch for things like the tops of trees at the bottom of the image. Since they're clearly unrelated, they shouldn't be there at all.

tirediron put it perfectly. a diagonal line looks better if it ends within the frame and actually leads the eye towards the subject. even if it was the subject, in and of itself it still needs to be contained within the picture rather than being cut out

No doubt, diagonals in an image can be used as leading lines, but they don't always have to lead to anything or terminate in the image frame.

Diagonals in an image can also help convey a sense of movement, or speed. Even subtle diagonals can foment that sense in a viewer.
I often lightly burn diagonals in an image for that reason.

I feel like it's somewhat cut off, my eyes want to go out to the end of the crane and see what's there (a hook? an object it's lifting?). What do you want viewers to see in your photo (the shapes and lines of the crane? what kind of work's being done with the crane? etc.)

You could try stepping back, changing your vantage point, turning your camera to get a vertical shot, etc. Notice your background and think about if you want the trees in your photo or not; do the tops of the trees add to your photo or are they distracting?

Glad you're enjoying your class, have fun creating your compositions.

Most reactions

Back