Computer for photo editing ... hmm, what crap comp do you got?

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by dxqcanada, Jan 17, 2018.

1. TCampbell

TCampbell Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    With a Core2 Duo, you basically have the first 64-bit processor ever used... coupled with the slowest hard drive available. Almost any newer computer will be noticeably faster.

I'm using a 2014 MacBook Pro ... but has an SSD, a Core i7 (quad core) and loads of RAM. Even though the computer is now about 4 years old, it's still really fast. An SSD was the one bit of tech that single handedly sped up my computer more than anything else I've ever done to upgrade a computer over the years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. AlanKlein

AlanKlein No longer a newbie, moving up!

As Tim said, get an SSD. I've got a 256mb. I also have 24gb memory and Dell with Core i7, but the SSD is what moves everything faster. The 24gb is probably more than I need with 16gb being enough. I've looked at memory while processing Lightroom and PS Premiere Elements (video) and it never went over 10gb in memory while processing. But f you run a different video or photo processing program, it could require more. I keep my programs on the C drive section and store the photo files on the D drive section. I have a WD My Passport Ultra 2gb portable hard drive plugged into my USB for "invisible" backing up of my data and photo files on a real time basis. I don't store anything in the cloud.

3. Nintendoeats

Nintendoeats TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This isn't strictly true. AMD had x64 processors a few years before Intel and both Pentium 4 and Celeron D were 64-bit (this ignores server processors entirely). It would probably be true to say that the Core 2 Duo was the first 64-bit processor to achieved any meaningful market penetration coupled with 64-bit Windows. Completely academic to your point, but true.

I found that replacing my Core 2 Duo with a Core 2 Quad Q6600 sped up Windows XP on its own when I did it in 2008.

4. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, upgrading to SSD is really a boost. I put one in my old MacBook Pro 13 and it really zips.
    I am still waiting for the SSD pricing to go down before I swap out with my new MacBook ... I need at least 500GB for my VM's.

5. Nintendoeats

Nintendoeats TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What with flash prices being what they are right now, that may be quite a while.

6. TCampbell

TCampbell Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I was really referring to the mac lineage... Core 2 Duo was the first time they (Apple) used 64-bit Intel processors. As computers become more powerful, OS & application vendors push the machine and take more for granted. It “seems” like the machine is slowing down as compared to when it was new. But when it was new, the OS & apps weren’t consuming so many resources.

7. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I have a super micro x8sil, super micro case with super micro 500w PS, 16gb ram, sound card, pciex1 evga video card, Xeon quad core CPU. 500 GB SSD drive dual boot Linux Slackware, Windows 10, 128 gb ssd scratch drive, 2- 1 tb sas hard drives mirrored. Connected to old NAS server for backup storage. Old new stock, built last year from stuff I had laying around. I have a nice big display, HP. It's plenty fast even though the hardware is older tech. It's a server board I had for a backup for a customer.

8. dxqcanada

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not liking this whole Meltdown/Spectre thing ... just did another update yesterday and now I have to reinstall OS because the filesystem got corrupted !!!

9. dxqcanada

Photos OK to edit

Sooo, 48 hrs later ... I have got it back together ... have no idea what the problem was ... no disk errors, no SATA hw issue, reinstalled OS three times ... ah, the world of computing.