Computer for post production

nickstanley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So my laptop just died. I am looking to get a desktop or laptop strictly for post production (Photoshop/Lightroom). I use my tablet for internet browsing and stuff so the new computer would be just for photography. Should I get a desktop or a laptop? Which is more post production friendly?

Any specs that are more important? ie memory? Processor speeds?

Thanks

Nick

I got a Mac Mini which is fast enough. Running CS4 at the moment and it's as fast as I've seen Photoshop run on any system. Not sure about CC bus I'd assume it has more than enough capability to handle it.

Apple were doing a really good finance deal (£50/month) to pay up the £500 with 0% interest but I don't know if it's still going or not.

How tech-savy are you? If you're not afraid of it, you can build a tower with all your ideal innards and with the money saved, get a high-quailty monitor.

Personally, I bought an iMac and put in some additional RAM.

Quite honestly, I'd like the computer to be ready to roll right out of the box.

I got a Mac Mini which is fast enough. Running CS4 at the moment and it's as fast as I've seen Photoshop run on any system. Not sure about CC bus I'd assume it has more than enough capability to handle it.

Apple were doing a really good finance deal (£50/month) to pay up the £500 with 0% interest but I don't know if it's still going or not.

DO NOT. Get a Mac Mini if you're doing heavy processing.

You'll want to pull your hair out.

Get an iMac... more bang for your buck.

RAM is more important than processing speed, so if you're on a budget, I'd get the base model and upgrade the RAM.

As far as installing RAM yourself, you can only do that on older iMacs or the current 27inch. The current 21.5 inch iMacs are final with whatever you choose to go with, because they're soldered in there.

Last edited:
And I only say that about the Mac Mini, because that's what I'm editing on after my used MBP died (I new I should have never bought that thing :er: I never buy used because it ALWAYS dies on me. :lol: )

Granted, my Mac Mini is older, but it has a hard time processing 16bit images quickly, and forget about liquifying... I have to temporarily downsize the image to 72ppi... do my liquifying... save the mesh... cancel the liquify, undo the image resize, go BACK into liquify, and apply the mesh I saved.

PAIN. IN. THE BUTT.

And it takes 5 minutes to save something that should take 30 seconds.

It's a great casual use machine. It's not a workhorse.

Do this w/ 16gig of RAM:

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/imac?product=ME086LL/A&step=config

Quite honestly, I'd like the computer to be ready to roll right out of the box.

I understand. If it is priced without a monitor, be sure to budget for a good one.

I am quite satisfied with my 27" iMac. Plugging in some extra RAM is pretty easy.

Just a point but unless you need the mobility go for a desktop. You get more power for your money and its easier to swap parts in and out as you need them.

Also screen wise if you want to do editing you'll want to calibrate the screen - that's a LOT easier if you've an external monitor because you can get one which doesn't have the contrast/brightness change based on your viewing angle. You can get those screens on laptops; but last I checked it's a fairly high end only feature and really limits your choice.

Or this w/ 16gig of RAM if you want a huge screen:

Configure - Apple Store (U.S.)

Personally the 27 is too big for me... I lean with my 21 inch screen as it is. :lol:

But some people REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY love the 27inch for the huge screen.

Just a point but unless you need the mobility go for a desktop. You get more power for your money and its easier to swap parts in and out as you need them.

Also screen wise if you want to do editing you'll want to calibrate the screen - that's a LOT easier if you've an external monitor because you can get one which doesn't have the contrast/brightness change based on your viewing angle. You can get those screens on laptops; but last I checked it's a fairly high end only feature and really limits your choice.

The retina displays are IPS :sillysmi:

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/features-retina/

I may be getting one in 2 weeks... depends on my parents' tax return. :lol:

(Yes, I said my parents. Apparently my mother is now going through withdrawal having all the kids out of the house now, so she's been sending Santa to visit us early. :lmao: )

...And if you're considering Laptops... don't even think about a MacBook Air... for the same reason you shouldn't even think about a Mac Mini... :lol:

Stick with either iMac or MacBook Pro w/ Retina.

I recommend a desktop and a good IPS display.
Image editors and graphic artists are a couple of computer users that aren't abandoning desktop computers for more portable devices

Exceed Adobe's System Requirements, particularly for the computers graphics/video card so Photoshop can also use the card's GPU, VRAM, OpenGL and OpenCL.
Adobe Photoshop CC for Mac, Windows, PC - Tech specs
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 for Mac, Windows, PC - Tech specs
Photoshop CC GPU FAQ

Preferably a wide gamut display that can display most of the Adobe RGB color space. Actually, wide-gamut (16-bit color) is part of Adobe's minimum system requirements for a display.
Even better is a dual display set up. Use the second display for the work pallets, tool bar, and tool options bar so the main display has as much image display space as possible.

The second display does not need to be an IPS screen, and can be smaller than the main display.
NEC has some nice wide gamut displays that start at about $1000 for 22" or so displays.

And budget for a display calibration tool - X-Rite CMUNDIS ColorMunki Display

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Desktops tend to be cheaper, faster, and easier to upgrade -- mainly because you don't have to work so hard to cram stuff into a small space. Among other benefits, this means that it's a whole lot easier (generally) to add on or replace parts, as well.

RE: Speed factors, RAM is really, really important, followed by disk speed & CPU speed in that order. A solid-state disk drive might be the single most noticeable upgrade you can make to a computer that doesn't have one. Give a passing thought to the graphics processor, but understand that it might not be a huge benefit unless you're using an app that can take advantage of it. Lightroom, for instance, doesn't.

I suppose it depends on what kind of editing process you go through. If you're doing colour correction/darkroom work/skin work to your images then most computers will suffice. If you're making 12 image panoramas and expecting fast results on editing them then you'll need something with a bit more oomph.

Most reactions

Back