PC build

Patriot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm starting my computer build for picture editing and possible video. It should/will be powerful enough to last the next 5 years if not more. I'm going with the lowest end 6 core processor becuase I didn't see a great price to performance ratio increase in the higher models. I will run multiple monitor with a max of 3. Total cost with everything will be $3000+. I have already started to order the parts piece by piece.

CPU:
Intel i7-4960k 6 core processor.
Motherboard: Asus P9X79-E WS
GPU: Asus GTX760 256bit GDDR5
PSU: Corsair AX860 860w
Memory: Corsair 16GB 2x8 ram *now adding 32GB 4x8GB instead*
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
WD black 1TB 7200rpm
CPU cooling: Corsair H100i internal water cooling
Case: Silverstone SST-TJ04B-EW
Case cooling: Noctua Nf-F12 case fans
Monitor: Asus PA249Q and a PA279Q
Mouse: Anker 8200DPI high precision mouse
Desk: My desk would most likely be Ikea built desk. The easy option for a computer desk. - Guides and Tutorials - Linus Tech Tips
Keyboard: Mechanical keyboard with the cherry MX brown keys for quite use. I hate the clicking noise.

Last edited:
I'd go with more RAM. Photoshop and video editing software are RAM hogs. Also what kind of monitor are you going to get? I would spend more on the monitor than the horsepower.

I'd go with more RAM. Photoshop and video editing software are RAM hogs. Also what kind of monitor are you going to get? I would spend more on the monitor than the horsepower.

The Asus PA249Q and a PA279Q are both photo editing IPS monitors that are pre-calibrated. I was also planning on more ram which I will buy last. Depending on the amount of money I can save up. I was thinking 32Gb or 64GB, but 64 seems like overkill.

Just for sh*ts and giggles you might want to check out configuring a hp elite desk G1. @ around $2000 you can get a worthy processor, 32g ram and a couple of 1 terabyte drives.

For storage I'd say go with a 2TB internal harddrive not a 1TB. Large sensors fill up card an computer space fast if you're shooting in RAW and that's without adding edited versions ontop of that. Depending on the case size you could even add more hard-drives so that you can manually or automatically have one drive setup as a data backup for the other. Considering the graphics card and power supply chances are you'll be looking at a full tower case so there should be plenty of room to house multiple hard-drives.

A pair of 2TB with one as backup - or you could go for a full four 2TB harddrives with two setup as backups for the others (that gives you an internal 4TB for photo storage which should future proof you for a long while).

I'd also consider one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Icybox-IB-8...TF8&colid=123GLFJA4CZ61&coliid=I3FQYF4OLJZNVE
Not much more in cost than a decent external card reader and since its internal it cuts down on the number of cables you have around the setup; plus you've got some extra USB ports if needed as well as a SATA connection point.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Honestly, the 6-core CPU & WS-class MB may be overkill for photo / video editing.

I'd consider trading down to something like a 4770k and spend the money on more disk space. You're going to burn through 1TB in no time -- especially if you're doing video. I'd also run HDD's in mirrored pairs. Think about *at least* a pair of 3- or 4-TB drives.

If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, I'd even consider getting a second SSD just to use for temp files, caching, etc. -- you didn't mention what software you're using, but Lightroom will let you park some of its working directories in specific places, and it would probably love having them somewhere fast.

Also, if you're going ultra-premium on this build, the H100i might not be the best that money can buy anymore. I've got one of these in my build, and it works well, but it's noisier than I expected. Maybe it's better with upgraded fans.

I only got the 6 core because I'm not one that upgrades a lot and plan on keeping it for year down the road. The WS mobo is high quality built just for this purpose and use the 2011 socket really well. Must other mobos I found were gaming orientated which is the biggest market for computer building. Nothing is set in stone however. I also don't know what new software will come out in the future and or how they will use multiple threads and cores. I could still get the 4770K however. The build isn't final, but only the starting point to get it up and running. I will add more drives the following months and fill the case.

Thank you all for your honest feedback.

Looks solid to me and I would add more RAM as well.
I see you are going with a "K" model processor and I'm not sure if you can overclock on a WS MB? If so no reason not to use it if that's what you like. Don't see any downside to using a gaming MB though either especially when you are using a gaming graphics card V a workstation card.
The only thing that scares me about 3 or 4TB drives is the thought of 1 of them crashing,,, whole bunch of data to restore if that happens.
I like cases that load HD's from the side (preferably tooless) V front to back, much easier to add/remove/replace with that setup.

Mouse: Anker 8200DPI high precision mouse

I'd opt for a Wacom graphics tablet instead of a mouse. YMMV.

I plan on getting one of those tablets and a mouse

Looks solid to me and I would add more RAM as well.
I see you are going with a "K" model processor and I'm not sure if you can overclock on a WS MB? If so no reason not to use it if that's what you like. Don't see any downside to using a gaming MB though either especially when you are using a gaming graphics card V a workstation card.
The only thing that scares me about 3 or 4TB drives is the thought of 1 of them crashing,,, whole bunch of data to restore if that happens.
I like cases that load HD's from the side (preferably tooless) V front to back, much easier to add/remove/replace with that setup.

More ram will be added. I plan on adding a Quadro K4000 WS card later to give me the 10bit output. I'm looking for a better case which will be the last thing I buy.

My build was inspired and edited to my needs based off of this video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd scale back the CPU to a 4770K. It'll save you money on the CPU and the motherboard.
32GB of RAM is a bit overkill but it's not a significant cost.
I'd get a Samsung 840 Pro or Corsair Neutron Series GTX instead of the EVO.
Are you going to be overclocking? No. Then just get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO instead of that Corsair H100i
The SST-TJ04 already comes with decent fans setup for positive pressure air flow. I wouldn't bother replacing them.
I prefer the Dell Ultrasharp monitors over the ASUS monitors. However, I've only made those judgment for still photography. The ASUS could be better for video I have no idea as I've never looked into it.
You might want to consider a mouse like the CM Storm Xornet. An optical mouse is much better suited for work like this and the Xornet has an optimal DPI for precision work and it's extremely smooth.
Might seem stupid but take a look at the large mouse pads like a XTRAC Ripper. The material aides in smooth movement and having a large mouse pad is great for editing.
I'd also consider MX Reds over the MX Browns. I use a Filco TKL MX Browns at work as they are more suited for typing. I use a Filco TKL MX Reds at home for editing and gaming. The linear keystroke in the Reds is more comfortable the type of non continuous typing movement you do with editing and gaming.
Also since you don't upgrade often you might want to consider a motherboard like a ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87. It's part of their TUF series which includes dust "armor" and it has a 5 year warranty instead of the typical 3 year.

This would keep you covered for the next five years: :thumbup: :D

• 2.7GHz 12-core with 30MB of L3 cache
  • 64GB (4x16GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
  • 1TB PCIe-based flash storage
  • Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each
  • Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch)
  • Sharp 32" PN-K321 - 4K Ultra HD LED Monitor
  • PROMISE Pegasus2 R4 8TB (4 by 2TB) Thunderbolt 2 RAID System

Most reactions

Back