Computer Wizards, I Need Your Help!!!

e.rose

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.emilymcgonigle.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
[h=5]I need a wireless router recommendation.

I have no freakin clue what I'm looking for here, and I thought what I grabbed was okay, but it's clearly not.

We're paying for 20Mbps internet speed, and when I hook up the wireless router it's PAINFULLY slow.

I did a speed test and the fastest result I got for downloading was .69Mbps

I unplugged my laptop from the router and plugged it straight into the modem and ran the same test and it came out around 21.79. THAT'S more like it.

So this router has CLEARLY got to go.

WHAT am I looking for here, so that we can get the 21.79Mbps speed that we're paying for while using a wireless router???????

Grrrrrrrrrrrr. :grumpy:[/h]

First what kind of router do you own and how old is it?

Second are you going DSL or cable?

Also you are not going to to get that kind of bandwidth regardless of router.

It's brand new.. just bought it... it's Belkin N300... we have high speed cable internet.

It's brand new.. just bought it... it's Belkin N300... we have high speed cable internet.

Phew!! Nice and new I would definitely look for a firmware update download install/refresh on both computer and router(secure it!!)

(But rose by any other name is still a rose). XD. But again you are not going to get 21mbs from a wireless connection.

E, PM me your address.... and in the next couple of days, you will get a Extreme N+ wireless router! I have an extra one I don't need... and they are pretty fast. Those Belkins are not that great....

Last edited:

Phew!! Nice and new I would definitely look for a firmware update download install/refresh on both computer and router(secure it!!)

(But rose by any other name is still a rose). XD. But again you are not going to get 21mbs from a wireless connection.

No, but I should be getting more than *1Mbps*.

True. Look at your computer wifi strength, and depending where you placed the router vs. Where you are trying to access the net has a great effect.

For a name with "byte" in it, you surely do not understand the difference between Megabyte and Megabit right. 8 bits in a byte?

And yes, you can easily obtain greater than 21mbps and no, I have not personally obtained anything close to 160mbps.

I'm tired right now so sorry for my grumpy attitude. I'll check tomorrow sometime and help you out if someone hasn't fixed the problem. Personally from what I read, I would check your auto sense settings if that router has one. Might not be switched to 100full. Just a possibility. GL.

True. Look at your computer wifi strength, and depending where you placed the router vs. Where you are trying to access the net has a great effect.

Like I mentioned to you on FB... the router is literally 6 inches behind my laptop, haha.

It's just a sh*tty a** router and it's going back TOMORROW. :grumpy:

For a name with "byte" in it, you surely do not understand the difference between Megabyte and Megabit right. 8 bits in a byte?

And yes, you can easily obtain greater than 21mbps and no, I have not personally obtained anything close to 160mbps.

I'm tired right now so sorry for my grumpy attitude. I'll check tomorrow sometime and help you out if someone hasn't fixed the problem. Personally from what I read, I would check your auto sense settings if that router has one. Might not be switched to 100full. Just a possibility. GL.

I have no idea what an auto sense setting is, but I will check around and see if I can find that and play with it.

Are you just "showing off" that you know the difference between a byte and a bit? Where did this even come from? Nothing I've read so far would have prompted it... (confused)

Right now, I'm getting about 24 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up... (Time Warner, Dallas area - wired connection.)

I think maybe you were seeing a capital 'B' where there wasn't one? ?

Last edited:
Are you just "showing off" that you know the difference between a byte and a bit? Where did this even come from? Nothing I've read so far would have prompted it... (confused)

Right now, I'm getting about 24 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up... (Time Warner, Dallas area - wired connection.)

Maybe an A+ question? Idk. I mean we can all make assumptions until we see there set up....Erose could you take a picture of you set up in the back, front Max of 3 pics :)

E, PM me your address.... and in the next couple of days, you will get a Extreme N+ wireless router! I have an extra one I don't need... and they are pretty fast. Those Belkins are not that great....

You got another one just lying about lol?

Emily,

I just tested my Wifi speed (same router I am sending) with my Nexus 7... and here is what I got....

$speed.jpg

and for the doubters....

$nexus-7.jpg

I get double that when plugged in (on the download) but the upload stays the same. Of course, it will also depend on how fast your connection is....

Emily,

I just tested my Wifi speed (same router I am sending) with my Nexus 7... and here is what I got....

View attachment 35345

and for the doubters....

View attachment 35346

I get double that when plugged in (on the download) but the upload stays the same. Of course, it will also depend on how fast your connection is....

That's awesome!!!!! Thank you!!!! :hug::

Most reactions

Back