Concerning the Exposure Debate... (i'm gonna get flamed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, then ask who has an epson 3880, and how they use it.

As for "friendlier", I'm a member of various forums (some photography, but a bunch of others as well), and the degree of civility seems to be related to the aggressiveness of moderation. Some are loose, some are tight. You have to make your own mind up about what level you're comfortable with. This forum is about the middle, not too tight, not too loose. And each forum has its own cast of "regulars" that give the forum its personality. If you like "most", and abhor a few, there's always the "ignore" button to prevent you from seeing them.

Is this thread going anyplace?

MMM, the OP certainly has an interesting style!:)

Maybe i am being paranoid, but is everyone here this snarky and sarcastic? I apologize if you were being serious, but I really doubt it...

I was being serious. I may not agree with you but I am quite impressed by the nature of your responses.

I'm fairly new to the board and saw this thread the other day; I skimmed on to what was the end at the time (and to what seems to be the end for now) and haven't read every single post. I thought the original post had at least some thought put into it, but it seems there have been some posts throughout that came across in a way I wouldn't appreciate having someone talk to me.

I imagine this board has its share of nice people and some interesting conversations but the impression I've gotten so far is that either the board might not be inadequately monitored or the standard is such that it's acceptable for comments to be posted that come across in what seems to be an inconsiderate way. I certainly don't understand in particular treating new board members in a less than respectful way.

As for the topic, I'm a longtime film photographer so that would have affected how I learned photography skills, but I don't see a purpose for under or overexposing photos. If you want to create a particular look with a photo I would think getting a well focused, well framed and composed image, and a good exposure, would give you a better starting point. There are times when I've gotten a photo that for whatever reason wasn't as well exposed as I would have liked, but there was something about it that gave me a reason to do more adjusting than usual to make the image better (or sometimes even usable). I'm not sure that there's necessarily a correct exposure as much as what I'd consider a proper exposure, one that gives you the amount of light necessary to produce a good quality photograph.

Sharon

Visionary artistic style :)
Huh... I was going to go for the "Harsh shadow, on-camera speedlight style".

How about if you have nothing sensible to say keep mouth shut style?

Psssst... new guy...

Those forum members that have "Site Moderator" under their names... yeah, they're volunteers that give of their valuable time and energy for the betterment of the community. They're certainly not infallible, but your rudeness is way out of line. Show a bit more respect next time, eh?

MMM, the OP certainly has an interesting style!:)

Maybe i am being paranoid, but is everyone here this snarky and sarcastic? I apologize if you were being serious, but I really doubt it...

I was being serious. I may not agree with you but I am quite impressed by the nature of your responses.

Well, thank you then. Nothing wrong with disagreeing - it's often the best way to learn. :)

I'm fairly new to the board and saw this thread the other day; I skimmed on to what was the end at the time (and to what seems to be the end for now) and haven't read every single post. I thought the original post had at least some thought put into it, but it seems there have been some posts throughout that came across in a way I wouldn't appreciate having someone talk to me.

I imagine this board has its share of nice people and some interesting conversations but the impression I've gotten so far is that either the board might not be inadequately monitored or the standard is such that it's acceptable for comments to be posted that come across in what seems to be an inconsiderate way. I certainly don't understand in particular treating new board members in a less than respectful way.

As for the topic, I'm a longtime film photographer so that would have affected how I learned photography skills, but I don't see a purpose for under or overexposing photos. If you want to create a particular look with a photo I would think getting a well focused, well framed and composed image, and a good exposure, would give you a better starting point. There are times when I've gotten a photo that for whatever reason wasn't as well exposed as I would have liked, but there was something about it that gave me a reason to do more adjusting than usual to make the image better (or sometimes even usable). I'm not sure that there's necessarily a correct exposure as much as what I'd consider a proper exposure, one that gives you the amount of light necessary to produce a good quality photograph.

Sharon

Thanks, couldn't have said it better myself (the first bit :) ). I may keep an eye on this thread, but I am pretty much done with this site and its welcome wagon... too bad, some respectful people seem to be coming out of the woodworks.

Psssst... new guy...

Those forum members that have "Site Moderator" under their names... yeah, they're volunteers that give of their valuable time and energy for the betterment of the community. They're certainly not infallible, but your rudeness is way out of line. Show a bit more respect next time, eh?

If this was directed at me (the OP), doublecheck the names. :)

I have gone out of my way to be civil and avoid childish accusations, but have been the target of a few. Now, anyone care to get back to the subject, or has this been duly derailed, diverted and flushed?

Psssst... new guy...

Not really interested in what fancy title they have..... Not an excuse to pass a rude comment......
UNLESS you believe that a "site moderator" can say what they like to everyone?

Psssst... new guy...

Not really interested in what fancy title they have..... Not an excuse to pass a rude comment......
UNLESS you believe that a "site moderator" can say what they like to everyone?
Mr. Stevens: You are absolutely right that moderators have no special privilege regarding comments that they can make, and if you have an issue with a comment I've made, common courtesy would dictate that you discuss it with me. Second what is it that you feel is rude about that comment? Does it not adquately describe the style of photography used to execute the images referred to; indeed one that is currently very common to images from clubs, and similar.

With respect to the issue of moderation, I maintain a very distinct line between my moderating persona and my regular member persona. When posting as a moderator, my text will always be bold-face, red type. When posting in regular old default black font, I am posting as a member. If you have any issues with my actions, comments or moderation please address them to the site administrators, to whom all members of the TPF Moderating Team are responsible.

Not to get into a pissing contest, but tirediron's comment appeared to me to be factual after I had a look at your site. Sometimes the truth isn't pretty. But if your intent is to get better, then listening to the comments made by experienced photographers would probably be the way to go. Nice comments from people lacking much experience and knowledge, won't help you as much as hard comments from those who do this kind of stuff routinely. It's your business, and your photography so do whatever makes sense to you. But there is much here that can be of value to you IF you know how to tap into that knowlege.

I found the comment a bit rude and not very helpful at all.

As it goes I'm happy with those images and don't think they deserved the harsh Critisizm they received.
Sure they are not perfect but they are not a million miles away from what I'm trying to do.
So I now turn up the FEC to -1 and get to within 5-10 feet of the subject.
End result is the background I want showing the lighting but with a slightly higher exposure on the actual subject.

So I have taken on board the criticism and taken steps to make things a little better.
Im also being a lot more harsh with my own Critisizm and not uploading every photo from a shoot.... I did a wedding disco at the weekend and took just over 500 images, 104 have already been blitzed at the first cull for one reason or another (mostly an odd facial expression, no smile, subject looks away, arm of another dancer making an appearance in the frame etc)
Im expecting to be able to cull another 100 at least... Not because they are bad images just coz they are not outstanding, so nobody needs to see them at all.

I DON'T agree with the comments that said the background was distracting from the subject, it's obvious the intended subject and the lighting adds to the overall atmosphere of the photo.

I GUESS it's just a marmite thing, I've had many positive comments about my club photography from the people in the photos AND and offer of employment from a nightclub who want me as their official promotional tog.

So overall I'm pretty happy with the results :)

Last edited:
I found the comment a bit rude and not very helpful at all.

As it goes I'm happy with those images and don't think they deserved the harsh Critisizm they received.
Sure they are not perfect but they are not a million miles away from what I'm trying to do.
So I now turn up the FEC to -1 and get to within 5-10 feet of the subject.
End result is the background I want showing the lighting but with a slightly higher exposure on the actual subject.

I DON'T agree with the comments that said the background was distracting from the subject, it's obvious the intended subject and the lighting adds to the overall atmosphere of the photo.

I GUESS it's just a marmite thing, I've had many positive comments about my club photography from the people in the photos AND and offer of employment from a nightclub who want me as their official promotional tog.

So overall I'm pretty happy with the results :)

And what does the average "clubber" and "Nightclub" know about photography? If you post on a clubbing / nightclub site / facebook... yea, they will say your shots are good... They don't know any better!

Many TPF'rs have a lot of knowledge about photography and professional shooting... that is why you are here,right... to learn from those knowledgeable people? Or were you expecting us to gush over your images?

You sound like you are "invested" in your photos... and don't deal well with with any honest feedback. If you want nothing but praise, stick to Facebook... but you won't improve... what does inaccurate, unknowledgable praise teach you?

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back