Confused about custom white balance

Another important question:
Today I went to home depot and bought some frosted window film. Said film, has one shiny side and one matte side. Is it important which side faces the lights, and which side faces the subject?
I am using clothespins to add this layer of frosted film to my softboxes directly outside the outermost layer of white satin fabric.
Would this layer of frosted window film benefit diffusion more if it were distanced from the softbox and the subject?
In other words, instead of adding a layer to a softbox that already has two diffusion layers, would the placing of the film in between the light trajectory and the subject be more beneficial than simply adding an extra layer to the softbox?

I've never tried using window film for this and have no idea how it would work. I can't see it mattering too much which side faces which way, but a quick experiment should answer that question for you. The further from the light source the greater the diffusion. Why not just go to a sewing store and by a bold of white ripstop nylon?

I've never tried using window film for this and have no idea how it would work. I can't see it mattering too much which side faces which way, but a quick experiment should answer that question for you. The further from the light source the greater the diffusion. Why not just go to a sewing store and by a bold of white ripstop nylon?

Ah! I will try that. Is it called ripbstop? Or ripstop?

Wow
I just tried a light modifier I really like. It's a reflector dish you place around your strobe and it has 3 types of honey comb fittings (50 30 and 10).
I think 10 must be the narrowest beam and 50 much larger? Not sure.
I was totally surprised that there were no hot spots on the leather. I mean soft boxes have multiple layers of diffusion and I still get hot spots and with this smaller and harder light, none?
I like this modifier, because it give the bag a mysterious look, that the softbox cannot.
I read about modifiers all day long, but until you actually try them, it's hard to understand what people are trying to convey. The picture is somewhat under exposed, but I like the effect.

Attachments

• honeycomb.jpg
    honeycomb.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 184

Ah! I will try that. Is it called ripbstop? Or ripstop?
"Ripstop" - it's nylon fabric with a pattern of white threads through it.

cannot find an answer to :
What is the difference between a normal reflector and a zoom reflector? Why is a zoom reflector called a zoom reflector? Does the zoom affect the light? Or has this to do with a zoom lens?

Most reactions

Back