Considering moving to the boonies

skieur

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In the process of decluttering my house for a possible move to the boonies...as in out of the urban area to rural lake country. My ownly possible regret is the red neck/tea party type politics that is prevalent in many rural areas. The advantage is less expenditure on summer and winter vacations.

skieur

Moving to the boonies???? All the cool kids are doing it!

Moving to the boonies???? All the cool kids are doing it!

Well, with gas at 10 cents per litre less than in the city, my own water supply, 180 feet of waterfront, and a boat in my backyard so-to-speak, as well as 4,000 plus square feet of living space, it is certainly worthy of serious consideration.

skieur

Not sure how "red neck/tea party type politics" fits into this, unless you equate self-sufficiency with "red neck/tea party type politics".

I moved away from urban sprawl over 5 years ago and won't be going back any time soon. I have a well, solar panels that can generate up to 18kw hours a day and room for a garden or...

If you're dependent on your government to run your life then "the boonies" isn't the place for you. You have to be more self-sufficient and take responsibility for yourself if you want to live there as a, you know... red neck. :er:

Last edited:
Not sure how "red neck/tea party type politics" fits into this, unless you equate self-sufficiency with "red neck/tea party type politics".

As in the politics of the majority of people in the Canadian "boonies", as I have been repeatedly told is "RIGHT of Attila the Hun" as in extreme right wing. As a left wing Liberal, that should make for some interesting conversations with the locals. It is a good thing that they cannot carry guns in Canada. :lol:

I moved away from urban sprawl over 5 years ago and won't be going back any time soon. I have a well, solar panels that can generate up to 18kw hours a day and room for a garden or...

Yes, I have wondered whether solar panels would be worthwhile. Is there any cost involved in their daily operation?

skieur

unless you are moving to Medicine Hat, AB.. I dont think one may find red necks in Canada.. Got to move to the US man.

unless you are moving to Medicine Hat, AB.. I dont think one may find red necks in Canada.. Got to move to the US man.

You are right on that point.:lol: Our Conservative Party is probably left of your Democrat Party. Our "red necks" probably equal your Republican Party. Even our newspapers agree on that point.

skieur

What's wrong with Medicine hat? ;P

DO IT! That is totally my dream future, but I'll have to wait until after I've finished school, I suppose.

So, I bought this weekend at $68,000 below asking price. Now I am the nervous owner of 2 houses and 2 RV trailers trying to get things organized so, I do not end up totally broke.

skieur

So, I bought this weekend at $68,000 below asking price. Now I am the nervous owner of 2 houses and 2 RV trailers trying to get things organized so, I do not end up totally broke.

skieur

Have fun cleaning!

When I moved to the boonies, I moved into 600 sq.ft. I was way more interested in how much land I had than how much house where I wasn't going to spend anytime except to sleep.

I am glad however to hear that the Tea party is moving into your backyard. Good riddance.

Sarah Palin will probably think she's in Russia.
:lmao:

skieur

Have fun cleaning!

When I moved to the boonies, I moved into 600 sq.ft. I was way more interested in how much land I had than how much house where I wasn't going to spend anytime except to sleep.

I am glad however to hear that the Tea party is moving into your backyard. Good riddance.

Sarah Palin will probably think she's in Russia.
:lmao:

You are right about the Tea Party. She was already consulting with Tim Hudak, Conservative Party leader in Ontario on election platforms, as well as other provincial and federal right wing Conservatives. In Eastern Canada, Quebec is a far better place to be than Ontario, from a political standpoint, but the future is unpredictable.

You are also right that Sarah Palin is totally ignorant about Canadian Politics. This Hour has 20 minutes on CBC constantly makes fun of her lack of Canadian political awareness.

skieur

Last edited:
I envy your move to the boonies. DO IT! I've been trying to get my wife to move back to Alaska, but so far no go. Enjoy it! As far as a "right wing" Canadian, that's what we call a "liberal" down here and don't worry about Palin's ignorance of Canadian politics, Obama's that way about ours.

Rednecks have devolved into every corner of the globe.

Have fun.

OP: I find it interesting that you started this by talking about moving "out to the boonies", but now you are mostly talking about politics.

Was this your intention all along?

You will never really win an argument about politics, because its based almost totally on opinions.

The vast majority of people in the U.S. are totally clueless about politics, and this is the issue that really matters.

I work with a guy who is a U.S. citizen, and he didnt know who the Vice President was the other day when we were talking politics. I am dead serious about this.

If he doesnt even know that, what else do you think he probably doesnt know? Virtually everything about our government I am guessing.

This is one of the biggest problems in the U.S. today, and what needs to change before we can fix the problems that we currently face.

This is a far greater issue than what people think about Sarah Palin, or any of the other trivial little things that people are always concerned with.

Only an educated and informed public can ensure that their government is kept in line, and does not become corrupt.

Do not be naive and think that the people in government care about you, or that they can be trusted. Countless billions have been oppressed and enslaved throughout the ages for making that very mistake.

Politicians have an agenda just like everyone else, and they need to be watched by the people very carefully to ensure that they are doing the right things.

What I am talking about here isnt even really politics by the way. This stuff transcends party lines, and is bigger than the differences between liberals and conservatives. It is about individual rights and freedom from oppression for all of mankind.

- Neil

Most reactions

New Topics

Back