constructive criticism on my photography style?

What makes a B&W fake? Why is one B&W fake, but another not? I don't mean to be rude, I just don't understand!

Well it's just that pics that are shot in digital color and converted to B&W look different than ones that are shot on B&W film and they look rather fake to me. Nothing at all wrong with them, I am just personally not a fan of them. I have been told I probably should not used the word "fake" to describe them, and they are probably right as it seems a little harsh, and if it came across that way I apologize, they are just not my cup of tea.

Allan

Well it's just that pics that are shot in digital color and converted to B&W look different than ones that are shot on B&W film and they look rather fake to me. Nothing at all wrong with them, I am just personally not a fan of them. I have been told I probably should not used the word "fake" to describe them, and they are probably right as it seems a little harsh, and if it came across that way I apologize, they are just not my cup of tea.

Allan
flea77, I by no means want to be argumentative, but do you only shoot film? If you shoot digital, how would you go about shooting a B&W?

flea77, I by no means want to be argumentative, but do you only shoot film? If you shoot digital, how would you go about shooting a B&W?

I do not mean to be argumentative either, hence me putting my equipment list in my sig. I shoot both film and digital, probably 90% digital. All my B&W however is shot on film. For some reason my eyes do not seem to mind color images in digital, they do however mind B&W. I don't know why, that's just the way it is.

Allan

I'm really interested in opinions from photographers or those who enjoy photography as much as I do. I usually only hear the opinions of my friends, who only take pictures for fun or when they are on holidays.
I would really appreciate it if you gave me some criticism on my pictures, if you like them or not, what I can do better or if I have a style at all.

You have a nice style and eye for composition. Maybe keep on learning about the processing. Overall though, great work and they show a lot of potential. Looking forward to seeing more.

I do not mean to be argumentative either, hence me putting my equipment list in my sig. I shoot both film and digital, probably 90% digital. All my B&W however is shot on film. For some reason my eyes do not seem to mind color images in digital, they do however mind B&W. I don't know why, that's just the way it is.

Allan

well, I usually shoot digital and I don't like to take the digital ones in black and white because maybe some colors that I don't notice will show on the screen at home and then it would be wasted if I'd put it already on black and white.
But thank you for your criticism! I have a black and white film in my Pentax anyway, so I'll see (or not) the difference when it's developped.

You have a nice style and eye for composition. Maybe keep on learning about the processing. Overall though, great work and they show a lot of potential. Looking forward to seeing more.

Thank you so much!

Yes, I know, I think the processing is my big weakness. I will definitely work on that.

Allan
Since the world is in color, ALL B&W, including film, are fake. Quit being an a-hole about it.

You might want to contemplate why you're the only person on these forums that advocates that position.

He's not, I prefer black n white on film too, hand printed on decent paper, (oriental-kentmere etc) you cant beat it, I've yet to see any really beautiful digital B&W's and I've seen a few. H

But you don't go around telling beginners they are fake because they are no more fake than film b&w.

I am not disputing that properly exposed, processed and printed film b&w are superior to digital. But to repeatedly call them fake is arrogance in the extreme.

Most reactions

Back