Correct lens for the best portaiture

Did you even read my post? Or the article for that matter? This is the same as the first example you linked to. The focal length changes along with the camera-to-subject distance. It is the latter variable that causes the distortion.

On a crop body, 50mm focal length yields the same FoV and thus camera-to-subject distance as 75mm on full frame. Under this scenario, there is no difference in perspective distortion, because the camera-to-subject distance is the same.

I know.. you keep making the same point. Maybe true if you are taking a picture of a one dollar bill lays flat on the wall. We are taking picture of a person. I dont understand your argument.

I have been doing a lot of reading about lenses and I have read that the 50 on the crop sensor is comparable with an 85 on a ff. Is that not correct? According to reviews the 28mm on the cs is comparable to what a 50mm would be on the ff sensor. Is that not accurate? I think the 100 would be very tight (at least the way I shoot).

The FoV on a 50mm will be closer to 85mm. It will still will be a 50mm lens, and perform like one. The 28mm you speak of will have a narrower FoV, close to a 50mm on a full frame, but it will have the distortion associated with the 28mm focal length. Not ideal for portraiture, as a matter of fact, it wouldn't be great at all.

bummer. What are your thoughts on the 35 2.0? Better? Or should I get the 50 1.4? I was originally wanting the 35 but the 28 was 'better' quality wise. (sorry to hijack)

Well, what I say when it comes to portraiture:

"The longer, the better."

Okay, the examples you have cited are using different focal lengths on the same sensor format. In order to achieve the same composition, or field of view, the camera-to-subject distance must also change. This is the factor that will introduce perspective distortion that your examples illustrate so eloquently.

When using a crop-body camera, the field of view, and therefore camera-to-subject distance of a 50mm lens is the same as a 75mm lens on full frame. In terms of perspective distortion, FoV is what matters, not focal length.

I will look for kundalini's thread. Unfortunately, I don't have a full frame camera with which to perform the demonstration.

im tired of arguing with you infidel. Go use your 18-55mm kit lens and shoot at 18mm. Find me a picture of a person that does not look distorted. You keep making the same argument over and over.

No need to debate this any further; I'm sorry I couldn't help you. :hug::

Personally for portraiture I'd never go below 85mm. 85-135 is pretty much perfect.

"the longer the better" doesnt qork for poirtrats because if you start going over 135mm you'll get significant barrel distorton.

Technically if you want no distortion at all, 85 mil is going to be the best. I juts like to go up to 135 because I can get a bigger closeup but sometimes you dont need it.

85mm f/1.2L is the best portrait lens for a reason.

im tired of arguing with you infidel. Go use your 18-55mm kit lens and shoot at 18mm. Find me a picture of a person that does not look distorted. You keep making the same argument over and over.

Hey, bro, you're not getting his fundamental argument. A 50mm lens on your crop camera will produce the same image as an 85mm on a full-frame (minus some DoF). We aren't talking about 50 vs 85 on the same body. The perspective distortion to which you are referring is a result of camera-to-subject distance, which would be identical in the above scenario.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Hey, bro, you're not getting his fundamental argument. A 50mm lens on your crop camera will produce the same image as an 85mm on a full-frame (minus some DoF). We aren't talking about 50 vs 85 on the same body. The perspective distortion to which you are referring is a result of camera-to-subject distance, which would be identical in the above scenario.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Sigh.. It wont produce the same picture!!

Infidel said:
No need to debate this any further; I'm sorry I couldn't help you. :hug::

The one with the hugs wins the love. I just had to stop in and tell you all that reading this particular thread is freaking awesome, and wonder where the rest of these kinds of posts.

Will my 100mm EF 2.8 canon macro lens work well for portraiture on a Canon T1i?
And what is the exact size of my 50mm 1.4 lens on the same frame, being that it has a cropped sensor? 80mm?

They will both "work" for portraiture, but I would probably go with the 50/1.4 for ease of use and versatility. The 50mm lens will be a 50mm lens on your camera, the FoV will be narrower than on a full frame camera though.

I have been doing a lot of reading about lenses and I have read that the 50 on the crop sensor is comparable with an 85 on a ff. Is that not correct? According to reviews the 28mm on the cs is comparable to what a 50mm would be on the ff sensor. Is that not accurate? I think the 100 would be very tight (at least the way I shoot).

Their FOVs would be comparable if your distance to subject does not change.

Personally for portraiture I'd never go below 85mm. 85-135 is pretty much perfect.

"the longer the better" doesnt qork for poirtrats because if you start going over 135mm you'll get significant barrel distorton.

Technically if you want no distortion at all, 85 mil is going to be the best. I juts like to go up to 135 because I can get a bigger closeup but sometimes you dont need it.

85mm f/1.2L is the best portrait lens for a reason.

Sorry, I don't agree with the past 135mm part...

Shot at 800mm...

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5048/5295355552_f9b6a0f238_z.jpg

I think 200mm is best ;).

Daym.. that 800mm shot.. Hawt!

Thanks all. This has really been a very informative thread for me, unfortunately, I still didn't get an answer as to whether my 100mm macro lens is good for portraiture as well, and if there is any fundamental difference between my 100mm EF Macro lens and a "standard" (not really sure what that means :), other than non-macro specific) 100mm lens.

I guess that I can always try a couple of shots with my 50mm and then using the same aperture and the same camera-to-subject distance on my 100mm and see what happens. Once I get the opportunity, I will post the results (although I will blow up the 50mm photo to fill the frame the same as the 100mm shot)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back