Crazy Cheepmunk!

Dmitri

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I turn a corner and two little chipmunks scurry across the trail. One disappears, and the other stops and looks at me (#1). I don't know if he was sight-impaired, if he was the bravest rodent in the world -- or just crazy, but several times in a row he darted from the side of the trail up to my feet, did a little startled jump like "omg human!!", and scampered back to the safety of a tree. I have no idea what he was doing, but he only stopped when I started to crouch down for a better pic. Then he just stayed in his tree for a while (#2).

Was darn cute tho, and glad I got to see it because until then the only chipmunks I saw could better be described as hearing them run away before I actually saw them :)

#1: Hi there
Chipmunk.jpg

#2: Peek-a-Boo!
ChipmunkPeek-a-boo.jpg

c&c always appreciated :)

Very nice! You've done a good job on a very skittish creature. Nice sharp eyes, good exposure. I'd suggest though, esp. in #1 a tighter crop. There's a lot of wasted space image right which doesn't contribute.

^^^ what he said - great work. Often as not with these creatures all you get is as you say - a sound of them running.
I wonder if he had a nest nearby and way trying to scare you away - your crouch might have been an attack posture he thought?

tirediron said:
Very nice! You've done a good job on a very skittish creature. Nice sharp eyes, good exposure. I'd suggest though, esp. in #1 a tighter crop. There's a lot of wasted space image right which doesn't contribute.

I think you're right... I like the size of the chipmunk and I think the 'rule of thirds' works on that one (he's looking into the middle). The blades on the left side point right to the little guy, but you are correct, the right side of the shot is just a blob of blah. I'll have to work and see if I can make anything from it.

Stupid earth, putting things on the ground that don't add to the composition :)

Overread said:
^^^ what he said - great work. Often as not with these creatures all you get is as you say - a sound of them running.
I wonder if he had a nest nearby and way trying to scare you away - your crouch might have been an attack posture he thought?

Possibly. It seems like he was trying to get back across the trail for something but was surprised to find me there. But could also be the chipmunk way of scaring.. I'll have to do some research. If I can find a way to get them to do that reliably, would make getting pics much easier.

MissMia said:
He's so cute. I like the first shot. Thanks for posting.

Thank you. He sure was small, and quite cute :)

I gave it a tighter crop to get rid of the right side blah. Better? Worser? Who cares?

Chipmunk-tighter.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back