Critique Me Please.

NellyG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently purchased a Nikon d3100 about 5 days ago and these are a couple of images from the first time I have ever even held a dslr camera. So please be gentle on me LOL I would like your feedback. I also am posting the edits of these images I did in Gimp since I am broke and can't afford Photoshop yet :) Any changes I should make to my settings and any other advice is welcomed! I look forward to hearing your opinions as I need all I can get and am seriously trying to learn my camera.

Dog picture metadata (Yes i had it in auto mode for this picture.. I know I know big no no but I hadn't studied my camera yet and was just playing around with it right after I got it.)
Device - Nikon D3100
Lens - 50mm F1.8G
Focal Length - 50mm
Focus Mode - AF-A
Exposure Mode - Auto
AF- Area Mode - Auto
Aperture - F5.6
Shutter Speed - 1/125
ISO - Auto ISO 360

Swan Picture Metadata
Device - Nikon D3100
Lens - 50mm F1.8G
Focal Length - 50mm
Focus Mode - AF-S
Exposure Mode - Aperture Priority
AF- Area Mode - Dynamic
Aperture - F1.8
Shutter Speed - 1/1600
ISO - Auto ISO 100

Attachments

• $DSC_0723resized.JPG
    $DSC_0723resized.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 109
  • $DSC_0117_001resized.JPG
    $DSC_0117_001resized.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 112
  • $DSC_0117resized.JPG
    $DSC_0117resized.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 125
  • $DSC_0723editedresized.JPG
    $DSC_0723editedresized.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 108
The first one seems to have a blue cast to it, at least on my uncalibrated laptop. I'd normally try to get the empty space in front of the subject (or to the left, in this case) so they don't look "cramped." I like the swan, though I think a little more depth of field would benefit the main swan (I like the one in back being out of focus).

As far as the settings, there are no hard-fast rules - each situation is different. You can get a feel for what the different apertures do by setting up some bottles in a row, set up at one end and focus on the middle of the group. Take a shot with the largest aperture (f/1.8), the smallest (f/22 or so), and a couple in between.

Yes the first one is straight out of the camera and unedited in any way.

Thank you both for your help. I appreciate the advice.

Not a bad start. Ease up on the saturation a bit on both images. Play with the camera some more to get used to the controls, then start taking the different auto modes out. Do some reading in the manual. No, really, read the manual, it has good info in it. lol As you read about different settings actually play with them on the camera, you won't hurt anything and all your playing can be deleted.
Co some reading or searching here and online, a good place to start and stay in auto modes is composition. Things like the "rule of thirds" and when to break the rules. If you want to shoot portraits there are tons of tutorials on posing subjects to read and to watch on YouTube.

Lastly, don't get discouraged when it seems like someone is picking on your pictures. Find that little tid bit of info they are poorly trying to get across and keep it in the back of your head while shooting.

And lastly......... Have Fun !

Awesome! Thanks for all the info everyone!

Cute capture on the dog. I think in addition to a tad too much saturation in the PP image, you used a bit too much contrast as well. You lost detail in the dog's nose, eyes, and fur. I'm assuming you wanted to lose the background but it was at the cost of detail.

I think I will take all of your advice and try to re edit the image. See if I can make it a bit better.

I would of tried to close down the aperture a little to get the rear swan more in focus, think it is more of a distraction having a full swan in the back ground so out of focus IMOP. Like the dog shot, but agree, over saturated. Keep up, looking good on the composition, that's half the battle :)

That looks great Cenote. I like that a lot better.

Most reactions

Back