Critique on my logo design

I disagree. With photography you are selling you as the photographer and thus you are the brand. Having your name as part of the name of the business puts you the brand front and center in people's minds.

Technically being front and center in a customers mind is the ambition of all brands. What I was getting at, is that if he wants his brand to stand out, he should use a more unique brand name. Thus standing out more so than all the generic names.

For example: he said he does quite a few senior portraits, so even if he just changes his name slightly to something like "Wallace Studios" then he has broken the cliche mold of "[insert name] photography, yet still puts his name front and center.

I guess where I'm coming from is that when you say Wallace Photo, or John Griffin Photography for example, your brand is then limiting your business before it even begins. Because if at some stage in the future you wish to expand your business and bring on some photographers as partners, they may not be happy working under that name. So some companies may change their name, others will keep it. the result is some photographers may not be happy joining the business...

Also if the business suddenly decides that they want to add event video production to their portfolio, prospective clients will not Immediately know that they offer this service from the business name which just says that they do photography. So what I am getting at is that a business should not limit future expansion options for themselves by using a limiting name. ( please note I'm just being hypothetical here, every situation is different, and I have never personally started a business... Yet. but that Is how I see it and I am open to correction...)

You use the example of a customer not knowing you do video production if the name is (insert name) photography. But then you suggest He use a name that doesn't say he is a photographer. So by changing his name too something without the word photo/photography then he will still have to explain what his services are since his name doesn't clearly say it. It just seems to me that your advice seems to be telling him to do the exact thing that your example is trying to dissuade him from doing.

Most reactions

Back