Critiques and comments

I think it all boils down to respect, the photographer took the time to post something they wanted comment on, so I think as a group we owe it to them to say something to help them realize their potential. Not everyone is in the same place photographically so that is where respect comes to play. I have seen many threads of snarky comments just to be a d!ck, that is not what should be expected by a community like this. I do believe that many times I am guilty of saying the image is nice or well done because it is and really does not need a lot of verbiage to describe an image in C&C If I feel I have something helpful to say I might leave more of a comment. We don't always have to be right but we need to show our respect for others.

Here we go again, but I am calmly curious.

I come across a photo of a nice sunset. Sunsets are a dime a dozen. This one is typical but just "nice".

So, unless I'm going to write a full critque about this "nice" sunset, I shouldn't post anything at all and pass it by?

Trust me folks, I'm not trying to stir the pot again, but I am trying to understand the reasoning.
Personally, I'd rather get a "like" or "nice" then 130 hits with zero replies just because it's only "nice"

If there's something I can add to improve the shot, I will, but sometimes it's "just a pretty sunset" and I think the photographer should know it.

Rick, as I see it, sometimes a photo can be improved in post, but sometimes it is just better to try again. I like sunset photos as well as anyone, but unless something makes my heart skip a beat (I take medicine for that, BTW) or takes my breath away, I am not likely to write anything more than "nice" or "great shot", or something similar. It has nothing to do with the poster, or his presumed skill level, but just the way something affects me.

I would ask that you go ahead and post any photograph that you want to. So what if it is not a prize winner? Very few photographs can win a prize in a real competition, and I'm guessing that the photographer has a couple thousand not-so-great examples for each prize winner he has.

We're all in this thing for some level of satisfaction, whether amateur or professional.

So on that sunset; make sure we all know it was taken at the solstice of Mozart's 150th anniversary in his hometown, with a P&S on "auto" while riding by a cliff on a bicycle.

Well I will go ahead and name-drop: Overread, PGRIZ, Designer and TCampbell come to mind when I think of opinions/knowledge I value. There are many others of course. I am guessing it has much to do with the manner they chose to help or critique.

I do most sincerely appreciate your vote of confidence, and in the interest of full disclosure, I will offer that although I have been a photographic hobbyist for over 40 years, I am fairly new to digital and all that "post production". Consequently, I seldom comment on the technical aspects of photographs, and instead limit my comments to the artistic aspect. I guess I feel somewhat qualified to comment based on my formal education, namely; five years of architecture school.

Here we go again, but I am calmly curious.

I come across a photo of a nice sunset. Sunsets are a dime a dozen. This one is typical but just "nice".

So, unless I'm going to write a full critque about this "nice" sunset, I shouldn't post anything at all and pass it by?

Trust me folks, I'm not trying to stir the pot again, but I am trying to understand the reasoning.
Personally, I'd rather get a "like" or "nice" then 130 hits with zero replies just because it's only "nice"

If there's something I can add to improve the shot, I will, but sometimes it's "just a pretty sunset" and I think the photographer should know it.

Rick, as I see it, sometimes a photo can be improved in post, but sometimes it is just better to try again. I like sunset photos as well as anyone, but unless something makes my heart skip a beat (I take medicine for that, BTW) or takes my breath away, I am not likely to write anything more than "nice" or "great shot", or something similar. It has nothing to do with the poster, or his presumed skill level, but just the way something affects me.

I would ask that you go ahead and post any photograph that you want to. So what if it is not a prize winner? Very few photographs can win a prize in a real competition, and I'm guessing that the photographer has a couple thousand not-so-great examples for each prize winner he has.

We're all in this thing for some level of satisfaction, whether amateur or professional.

So on that sunset; make sure we all know it was taken at the solstice of Mozart's 150th anniversary in his hometown, with a P&S on "auto" while riding by a cliff on a bicycle.

My thoughts exactly.

Hell, if it wasn't for self-deception and rationalization, I couldn't get through the day.

The "like" button has disappeared again, so..."like".

I thought it was my connection. I just hit refresh and the like button magically reappears

I've discovered recently that anytime I comment on a thread, I can no longer see the "like" button in that thread until I either refresh the page or leave the thread and go back into it. I don't "like" that. :D

Well I will go ahead and name-drop: Overread, PGRIZ, Designer and TCampbell come to mind when I think of opinions/knowledge I value. There are many others of course. I am guessing it has much to do with the manner they chose to help or critique.

Ooooh! you mentioned me in the company of THOSE guys? I'm honoured. Not necessarily deserving of that, but I'll take it. :lol:

:hail:

I do most sincerely appreciate your vote of confidence, and in the interest of full disclosure, I will offer that although I have been a photographic hobbyist for over 40 years, I am fairly new to digital and all that "post production". Consequently, I seldom comment on the technical aspects of photographs, and instead limit my comments to the artistic aspect. I guess I feel somewhat qualified to comment based on my formal education, namely; five years of architecture school.

You are welcome. Just to be specific, you saved me the agony of trying to name a picture (my first post). With that, I get to spend hours doing anything else! :lol:

On the other hand, Paul has caused me more agony because I can't seem to find or happen upon another park bench I could use to convey what I felt and what he suggested on the original post. :grumpy: I have not given up!

Meanwhile, I have taken to birding. I spend all of 3 seconds to name it "Big Bird" or "Pretty Bird" :Joker:

My apologies if this is considered hijacking a thread.

You are welcome. Just to be specific, you saved me the agony of trying to name a picture (my first post). With that, I get to spend hours doing anything else! :lol:

On the other hand, Paul has caused me more agony because I can't seem to find or happen upon another park bench I could use to convey what I felt and what he suggested on the original post. :grumpy: I have not given up!

Meanwhile, I have taken to birding. I spend all of 3 seconds to name it "Big Bird" or "Pretty Bird" :Joker:

My apologies if this is considered hijacking a thread.

There's HIGHJACKING, and then there's "highjacking".

Most reactions

Back