Cryus McCormick Grist Mill

Olcoot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographicendeavors.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone it has been a long time snice I made a post of any type here. I have been so busy the past few months that I just compleltley dropped all of my photography. I guess I am now finally over my photography slump
biggrin.gif
and have finally started to go through and post process some of the shots taken back in May of this year during the spring trip to WV and Virginia. I know this is my first post here in over a year although I still check in most everyday. The first shot is a shot of Wolf Creek, what a beautiful place. This creek is the one on the SW side of the New River just as you start up the mountain from the bottom of the gorge after crossing the old steel bridge. The was lot of water everywhere at this time. The second and third shots were taken inside the old grist mill located on the Cyrus McCormick homestead. Both shots are 25 to 30 second time exposures only using the available light inside the mill the converted to B&W. Just Look at the old wooden gears all made by hand. It is amazing to me the skills some of the people had back then with little or no formal training of any type.

Here is a link to my website where the complete series of shots inside the Old Grist Mill can be seen.

I am very happy to again be excited about photography and ready to get back behind the camera again. I just purchased new D300S bodies for Janice and I to replaced our well worn D200's.
biggrin.gif

Tony

Wolf Creel West Virginia
p130250038-5.jpg
p130250038-5.jpg

McCormick Grist Mill #1
p466562475-5.jpg

McCormick Grist Mill #2
p529705444-5.jpg

Nice shots. I prefer the Wolf Creek shot, but the long exposure gear shots are great also. I wouldn't write off formal training so much, back then apprenticeships could be pretty involved.

the gear shots are sweet! why is the water so grimy looking? It looks really dirty? Either way, great set of shots here

I really like the gear shots! I also have a question for you... What were your settings for the creek shots, and what time of day? Also, what type of filter are you using that allows for a long exposure in daylight?

I really like the gear shots! I also have a question for you... What were your settings for the creek shots, and what time of day? Also, what type of filter are you using that allows for a long exposure in daylight?

The shot was taken using a circular polarizer and a shutter speed of 0.8s at f/22 . I was also very overcast day and the water was moving very fast, a real slow shutter speed was not required

the gear shots are sweet! why is the water so grimy looking? It looks really dirty? Either way, great set of shots here
The water was muddy , it had been raining for several days before the shot was taken

Nice shots. I prefer the Wolf Creek shot, but the long exposure gear shots are great also. I wouldn't write off formal training so much, back then apprenticeships could be pretty involved.
Thank You for your comments, I agree with you statement about apprenticeships as much could be learned and master working under a journeyman.

Great shots - the bw are just about perfect. The only comment I can make is that whatever is hanging down just to the right of the upper left corner in the second bw bugs me a little, but probably only because the shot is otherwise so astounding.

Great shots - the bw are just about perfect. The only comment I can make is that whatever is hanging down just to the right of the upper left corner in the second bw bugs me a little, but probably only because the shot is otherwise so astounding.

Ken,

The thing hanging down is one of the levers used to engage the gears to the other portion of the drive train. Two of these levers one for appying the brake to stop the gears and one used to engage the gears can be seen in the top photo as well, they are just more out in the open and do not look out of place in the photo. I could have clone it out I guess but it shows the very tight and cramped space around the gears. There was no way to compose the shot to get the portion of the gears I wanted with having this in the shot. Thank for your comments.

Most reactions

Back