CS2 or Elements??

250Gimp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know this question has been posed before, but I couldn't find the info I wanted in my searches so far.

I am fairly new to photography and need a decent editing program. I mainly want to be able to adjust colours, sharpen, layers and masks. I would like to be able to access the pic in RAW format (Rebel Xt). Maybe some borders and filters as well.

Will Elements do all this or do I have to install CS2?

The other kicker is that I have a copy of CS2, but haven't had the heart to install it.

So....do I pay for elements and sleep at night or do I need CS2??

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

It sounds like all you need is Elements, but I don't know why you wouldn't install CS2 (it wouldn't be illegally obtained? Would it? *end sarcasm*).

I'm pretty sure Elements does everything you said you need.

Can you change the alignment of the pics in photoshop elements, such as straightening a building taken at a poor angle?

Thanks

I would personally start out with Elements, and when you feel like you have exhausted - or outgrown - the limits of Elements, then try out the one month trial version of CS2. If you feel if it is worth your time - purchase it :) I have both, and sometimes after I use CS2, I will take my images into Elements to do some further minor tweeking.

Can you change the alignment of the pics in photoshop elements, such as straightening a building taken at a poor angle?
I'm sure you can.

Lol, I was just coming on to post this exact same question.
I was thinking along the same line as Peanuts, buy Elements first and upgrade to CS once I have outgrown it.
It got a good writeup in Practical Photography this month.

I think the short answer is, if you don't know what's in CS2 that you'd need above Elements, then you don't even need to bother getting into CS2 ;)

Well, downloaded the trial version of CS2, and I'm really liking it so far. DOesn't hurt that I got a pretty good book on it from Santa. Once I get some more time on it I will post some pics I have touched up.

Cheers

The book I got is "The Photoshop CS2 Book for digital photographers" by Scott Kelby.

I can't compare it to any other books as this is the only one I have on digital photography, but I like the authors style. He is pretty easy to read and he actually gives you his prefered settings on certain commands. It is not a basic book, as it assumes you are already familiar with layers.

All in all I like the book!

Cheers

The book I got is "The Photoshop CS2 Book for digital photographers" by Scott Kelby.

I can't compare it to any other books as this is the only one I have on digital photography, but I like the authors style. He is pretty easy to read and he actually gives you his prefered settings on certain commands. It is not a basic book, as it assumes you are already familiar with layers.

All in all I like the book!

Cheers

I have this book too as well as a few others but I think I prefer this book, like you said, it is easy to follow. Now if I only had some more time to mess around with CS2.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back