D-700 review

Who needs light anymore?

"You also have the option of rating the sensor at (ISO) 12,800 (Hi1), and 25,600 (Hi2),"

"This image, shot with a Nikon D700 at the bottom of a coal-mine, hand-held at 1/2000 of a second..." :lmao:

I'm seriously in lust here! I love my D300 and can only imagine what the D700 would be like!

And in very bright light or high-powered strobes, you have the option of rating the ISO at....oh wait...what were those "lo" modes again? :meh:

And for $3K you get a whopping 13MP!

And in very bright light or high-powered strobes, you have the option of rating the ISO at....oh wait...what were those "lo" modes again? :meh:

I believe it gets down to ISO 50.

I'm not 100% sure here, 'cause you're not always that tough to read, but you seem to be raining on the D700 parade.

There's not a great reason to do so, but do what you will.

I believe it gets down to ISO 50.

I'm not 100% sure here, 'cause you're not always that tough to read, but you seem to be raining on the D700 parade.

There's not a great reason to do so, but do what you will.

Lowest is 100.... L0.3-->L1. equivalent to ISO 160-100

Suppose I am raining on it a bit. I demo'd the D700 last week and it was nice, if unimpressive compared to the hype, and IMO not worth nearly double the price of the D300. I still think $3k is a ridiculous amount to pay for 13MP.

I love Nikon, but they have a problem I don't like. It's about ISO. The smaller value of 100. I wish to be 50. For those who use Nikon D700 I have one question:
On my D70s, I have burned area where should be white (for ex. where is snow in a sunny day). It's still this problem on D700 or D300?

I love Nikon, but they have a problem I don't like. It's about ISO. The smaller value of 100. I wish to be 50. For those who use Nikon D700 I have one question:
On my D70s, I have burned area where should be white (for ex. where is snow in a sunny day). It's still this problem on D700 or D300?

You might consider using ND filters.

I agree Syndac. Alpha just likes to bash Dslrs because he cant find the perfection he is looking for. Forgetting that even though these cameras have advanced alot, they are still in their infancy in developement.
Snowalker you need to use an ND as icassell suggested or, at the very least a circular polarizer. I have never had a problem shooting in the snow with bright sun even.

Not to turn this into a brand war, but Nikon is behind the times.

The D3 is such a ****ing waste of money. $5K for 13MP? Even $3K for the D700.

Unless you have a supreme love for Nikon's other features, you're wasting your money on that sensor.

Why does Nikon have a $5k flagship camera with 13MP when Canon has a 13MP sensor in their $900 Rebel?

Why wouldn't I buy a 22MP digital back with $5k?

Fuji made a 41MP digital back in 2004. This is 2008. Can you really say with a straight face that 13MP is that great for a flagship camera? Bull.

Are there some super-secret, mission-critical features in these Nikon bodies that I'm missing? Do they really make up for taking a near 10MP hit over similarly priced systems from other producers? Because I'd say anyone who buys one of these cameras naively believing they're getting their money's worth is an absolute sucker. Yes, you.

Have at me, ladies. Let's go.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back