D-700 review

I have to agree with Alpha. I know, I know... what's this world coming to? :D But all seriousness aside he's dead on IMO. $3k to $5k for a device that is FINALLY able to match the $300 and $500 cameras of yesteryear? Has our dollar devalued that much already? And even at that there are still some although usually just the luddites (Ned Ludd, what a hoser! ;)) who can't afford a new camera, who even challenge this level of image quality in comparison.

If we want to play in the current market there's not much we can do about it but I don't mind calling ridiculous things ridiculous - and 3~5 thousand for a camera just barely as good as a film camera at 3~5 hundred (when new) is ridiculous. :D

Well, it is... :p

Weren't the old Nikon Pro bodies (ala F5, F4, etc.) around 5 grand when they were new and high-tech? I think my dad paid $4k for an old FE when he bought it new because it had priority modes. I'm sure it was like todays D3 that took the photographic world by storm.

It's the way it goes.

Word on the street is that Nikon will soon release a camera with more mp than Canon's 1Ds III. That will rather take the wind out of the sails of people who say that Nikon is all about low noise, and mp don't matter. Mind you, I'll be seriously interested in it. As things stand, the D700 is the only Nikon that might tempt me away from my 5D. To me the D300 doesn't cut it (though it is certainly a good camera) and the D3 is just over-priced - I'd rather pay the extra for the 1Ds III. There is certainly more to digital photography than large numbers of mp, but it's a good start.

I currently have a Canon but I'm in no way biased towards that make, and I could easily envisage changing to Nikon for the right camera. There aren't any other makes that interest me at all though - it's a two horse race.

Word on the street is that Nikon will soon release a camera with more mp than Canon's 1Ds III. That will rather take the wind out of the sails of people who say that Nikon is all about low noise, and mp don't matter. Mind you, I'll be seriously interested in it. As things stand, the D700 is the only Nikon that might tempt me away from my 5D. To me the D300 doesn't cut it (though it is certainly a good camera) and the D3 is just over-priced - I'd rather pay the extra for the 1Ds III. There is certainly more to digital photography than large numbers of mp, but it's a good start.

I currently have a Canon but I'm in no way biased towards that make, and I could easily envisage changing to Nikon for the right camera. There aren't any other makes that interest me at all though - it's a two horse race.

Looks like probably a 24 mp camera (D3x or so)....who knows might be even cheaper than the EOS-1Ds Mark III .

Weren't the old Nikon Pro bodies (ala F5, F4, etc.) around 5 grand when they were new and high-tech? I think my dad paid $4k for an old FE when he bought it new because it had priority modes. I'm sure it was like todays D3 that took the photographic world by storm.

It's the way it goes.

No. $1k or $1.5K maybe. The F3 for example released at $850 body only even though this guy http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/merlin/f3_1.html says it was $1,400. I think he got a long Nikkor with his or something. :p Anyway at $850 people were actually angry and disgusted. I think the next most expensive was the top Minolta at about $450. The HP version of the F3 that came out later was a little more tho - maybe he's talking about that one?

The F5 released at $1900 but within a month or two you could get them for $1300 or $1400. It used to be that Nikons would release WAY high and then drop way down to almost normalcy and then stay there forever - and ever, and ever. :) I think my F3 is still about $850 if it's new in box. ;)

And those were the big boys. The F75 was $250 new and the F65 was just about $200 even.

etc.

$3000 and $5000 for a camera is definitively ridiculous. But I don't blame it on Nikon and the number of megapixels Sony added this time around. I blame it on the illegal and immoral fractional reserve system known as the Federal Reserve corporation.

While I am not about to get a Nikon, I can drool over their goodies and get excited about all the cool stuff they are adding. And hope they continue "lighting a fire under Canon". The better the Nikon, the better Canon has to be to compete.

I am drooling over the D700 now not because I want a Nikon. Because I know Canon has to one up Nikon and I can't wait to see what they have to offer (5DMkII). And it's in a price range that will only get me mildly flogged by wife. :blushing:

While I am not about to get a Nikon, I can drool over their goodies and get excited about all the cool stuff they are adding. And hope they continue "lighting a fire under Canon". The better the Nikon, the better Canon has to be to compete.

I am drooling over the D700 now not because I want a Nikon. Because I know Canon has to one up Nikon and I can't wait to see what they have to offer (5DMkII). And it's in a price range that will only get me mildly flogged by wife. :blushing:

I agree, competition is always good... when nikon outdoes canon, canon then has to outdo nikon, then nikon has to outdo canon :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back