What's new

D200 to old?

Kirk, i'm working on a painting. Should i go to the store tomorrow and buy more blue paint or do i need more yellow?

You don't know what my painting looks like and i don't know what you like to photograph.
 
I like to take landscape pictures, but I also dig potraits.
hdr fascinates me.
I also want to get into taking macro of bugs
 
Unless you need the latest capabilities to push the envelope, compared to the rest of the world, at this very moment like it's an arms race, you can buy a pro (or semi pro) camera thats a few years out-of-date and take wonderful pictures, enjoy superlative build quality/intelligent design, compared to entry-level models. Looking at dpreviews appraisal of the d200, its an awesome camera. The D2X in many ways is even more awesome, imo. But this doesn't mean much if you buy a dud, that's been hammered or is temperamentally faulty and on the verge of shutter failure. The capability of these cameras isn't so much in question, if you're a 100-400ISO shooter in reasonable light, if you use a tripod, if you use flash.
 
Last edited:
A D200 would be a viable platform on which to mount good lenses to do all those things well.
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That was the cheapest listing I saw when i took at look at whats on ebay right now.

TBH it's for people like Kirk to do their own homework. I'm not making anything from trawling ebay for other people who could do it themselves.

@Kirk websites like dxomark.com and dpreview.com give you full spec and comparisons (often) of lots of digital cameras going back years. You can adopt either the mindset of (a) must have the latest/gotta keep up with the Jones's, or (b) what do i need, to do what i want to do?
 
Last edited:
I like to take landscape pictures, but I also dig potraits.
hdr fascinates me.
I also want to get into taking macro of bugs

Doesn't really help decide whether you're better off with a D200, D2X, Canon 5D, Sony A700 etc.

This just informs that you'd benefit from a camera body that accepts interchangeable lenses, and can shoot raw captures for HDR.
 
I would say unless your going to be shooting in a lot of low light situations, the d200 would be fine. I own one and love everything about it except for its high iso performance, which sucks frankly, but if your going to be shooting mostly in well lit enviorments, or doing night landscade with a tripod where you can keep the iso down, the d200 will be fine for you.
 
That was the cheapest listing I saw when i took at look at whats on ebay right now.

TBH it's for people like Kirk to do their own homework. I'm not making anything from trawling ebay for other people who could do it themselves.

@Kirk websites like dxomark.com and dpreview.com give you full spec and comparisons (often) of lots of digital cameras going back years. You can adopt either the mindset of (a) must have the latest/gotta keep up with the Jones's, or (b) what do i need, to do what i want to do?

It's an awesome camera, I just sold mine for 550. The only negative is the iso performance, it's only good up to iso 800. You'll love the build quality and the fact that it's compatible with older mf glass.

My recommendation for any used camera buyer is to look for auctions that are bundled with valuable items like lenses, grips or flashes-- you can get a better deal if you buy a larger lot and sell the extras then if u buy the body only.
 
I just switched from my D5000 to a D200. Everything seems is better except for iso. "Stole" mine for $200 on Craigslist. It had 25k in shutter actuations and in mint condition.
 
If you want to get into macro for bugs (that are likely to move), you'll want good high ISO performance- regardless of how "nice" the old D200 body might be...
 
Had one last year used for $525 with 16k on the shutter.
Loved it! Flickr images with D200 and was sad to part with it to upgrade to the D90.

Yes some say bad iso handling. But it's not bad as still got a lot of keepers at 1250.
And 800 is probably the most comfortable limit I would shoot without thought.
Nailing exposure is more critical to getting the least in the way of noise.

1250 iso and no post NR applied SOCC.

Green 1250 Socc 1 of 2 by orb9220, on Flickr

Still miss it to this day even having a D90 as my camera. And quality lenses will have a significant impact on Image IQ. And yes you can Do Great macro and landscape with it. And still a great tool with some limitations like High ISO handling. But truth be told many like myself with the D90 I rarely needs to go into that realm. Maybe like 10%-20% of the time I need more than 800.

But if I was doing it for a living like weddings,events,bands,concerts,bars or nightlife shooting then would pass and go more low light capable like the D90,D7000 or as a pro then D3x and D700.
.
 
Last edited:
The D200 is still a great camera if you can get one for a reasonable price and with a relatively low shutter count. The Nikon MTBF design point for the D200 was about 125000 actuations and the average for owners reporting shutter failure seems to be about 108000. FYI, the shutter actuation count shows in the EXIF data. The more important issue IMHO is your comfort with the body and camera system since the largest investment you will make will be in lenses and you do not want to decide you like Canon or Sony or Olympus technology better after you have invested in Nikon glass. I have owned a D100, D200 and currently use a D300 and D90 and have been very happy with Nikon (but I am sure Canon and Sony owners have the same level of satisfaction). Best of luck with your decision.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom