D200

Rick58

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a cheaper, but not cheap, DSLR to use with my AI Nikon lenses.
I don't need or would I ever use, all the bells and whistles found on most DSLR's.

I don't care about video
I don't care about outragous ISO numbers
I don't care about sub-machine gun frame rates
I don't care about program modes

I looking for a bare bones workhorse for manual shooting. I've been looking at the aging D200's. Any comments or thoughts?

the D200 will certainly do what you are looking for. its well built, for sure. i see them on craigslist in my area around $550ish...but im not certain that for the same money, a used D90 wouldn't be a better deal. for $200 or less you can get a D100 (we have one in our closet, still in excellent+ shape) the D200 is 10MP and the D100 is 6MP. D200 does have faster FPS, larger viewfinder, better built, faster max shutter speed, so it might be worth the extra money.

The ONLY problem with the D200 is the battery life is pretty lame. Like 900ish shots. This isn't a showstopper so much as something to be aware of and cover for (extra batteries) if you need to shoot a lot with it.

Other than that, it's a great great all-around camera.

the D200 will certainly do what you are looking for. its well built, for sure. i see them on craigslist in my area around $550ish...but im not certain that for the same money, a used D90 wouldn't be a better deal. for $200 or less you can get a D100 (we have one in our closet, still in excellent+ shape) the D200 is 10MP and the D100 is 6MP. D200 does have faster FPS, larger viewfinder, better built, faster max shutter speed, so it might be worth the extra money.

The problem with the 100's is, they will mount, but without meter. For that reason I'd have to go with the 200's.

Expect to lack some tonal resolution and dynamic range with the older models compared to the new sensors.

Expect to lack some tonal resolution and dynamic range with the older models compared to the new sensors.

I'm not surprised. 13 years is a lot of technology.
I'm following one with 4k clicks in mint condition $175. This means nothing since it still has almost 2 days to go with 18 people bidding. It seems $300-$400 is more realistic.

The ONLY problem with the D200 is the battery life is pretty lame. Like 900ish shots. This isn't a showstopper so much as something to be aware of and cover for (extra batteries) if you need to shoot a lot with it.

Other than that, it's a great great all-around camera.
That's about what I've been reading. They claim 1000 without using the LCD. I'm still in film mode, so if I take 36 a day, I should be ok :lol:

The problem with the 100's is, they will mount, but without meter. For that reason I'd have to go with the 200's.

Not that I'm suggesting you should get a D100... you shouldn't- the delta between the D100 and the D200 is STAGGERING- like on a rating of 1-10 with D100 being a 1, D200 is a 6 and D300 an 8... but what do you mean it won't meter?

I'm not a digital guy, so I only know what I've been reading:

Nikon Lens Compatibility

it say here that the D100's meter won't operate, but the lens will mount.
I thinking you may have missed where I want to use my F2 AI lenses

Rick58 said:
I'm not a digital guy, so I only know what I've been reading:

Nikon Lens Compatibility

it say here that the D100's meter won't operate, but the lens will mount.
I thinking you may have missed where I want to use my F2 AI lenses

Oh ok I understand. Yes, I missed that you were using specific lenses.

Well, anyway... The D100 would be a lesser choice by leaps and bounds regardless.

I just got home from a long day of work yet again with a bunch of D200's shooting school photos. The kids sit about 5 or 6 feet from me, they don't move, the AF point is set on their eyes or their lips and the AF still hunts for proper focus. How do you feel about bad AF?

If you can pick up a used d200 for mid 300's it is still a great camera with a great feature set. The d300 is even better and the market is starting to flood with people upgrading to the d600. I've seen d300 in the mid 500 range.

Yep D300 seeing now for $600-$750 range. D90's in the $450-$550 range. D200's in the $300-$500 range. When I had mine picked up used for $375. And do miss it tho have a D90. Missed the build-feel more dedicated controls and that something-something that CCD gave over CMOS. The D200 gave warmer more natural tones than my D90. A D300 at a $600-$700 price point is now what I consider the most bang for the buck selection. But a $300-$400 D200 is sure enticing.

Still miss mine And am tempted by the price. Tho a D300 would go further.
As has fine-tune lenses feature and better dynamic range and higher iso ability.

and the D200 did pretty good even at 1250 iso with no post NR

Green 1250 Sooc 1 of 2 by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Last edited:
My backup body is a D200.

I LOVE this dx.
It hasn't ever failed me.

Battery life is acceptable with a grip running 2x en el3e batteries.

With this camera, I've done approximately 30,000 shots original shutter mechanism not a problem at all.

I love my D200, however 1600 ISO is where you should call it quits.

576015_560014916371_285642950_n_zps5c78d8df.jpg

I just got home from a long day of work yet again with a bunch of D200's shooting school photos. The kids sit about 5 or 6 feet from me, they don't move, the AF point is set on their eyes or their lips and the AF still hunts for proper focus. How do you feel about bad AF?

All my AI lenses are manual focus, so Bad AF is just fine with me ;)

Most reactions

Back