What's new

D300 versus D7000

I own one and assure you, it does for all the above.
Oh, no doubt it does all the above.
Where do they show the external controls I listed, in the D7000 users manual?

Edit: I see where the D7000 has the WB, ISO, Quality as a dual function on the back left side of the D7000 instead of dedicated buttons on the shooting mode dial on top of the camera.
I'm still not finding the focus area mode and metering mode functions on external controls.
 
Last edited:
I own one and assure you, it does for all the above.
Oh, no doubt it does all the above.
Where do they show the external controls I listed, in the D7000 users manual?

Edit: I see where the D7000 has the WB, ISO, Quality as a dual function on the back left side of the D7000 instead of dedicated buttons on the shooting mode dial on top of the camera.
I'm still not finding the focus area mode and metering mode functions on external controls.


meetering mode functions is right beside the exposure compensation button.

to set the focus area mode and the focus point selection you have to press on the focus switch right beside the lens mount and use both front and rear roulette. it has the ****in external control. why dont you go RTFM. ?!?!?!?!??:thumbdown::lol:
 
D7000 cost hundreds more then a used D300.

Everything else is better on the D7000, unless you care about weather sealing and a couple extra AF points.
 
meetering mode functions is right beside the exposure compensation button.

to set the focus area mode and the focus point selection you have to press on the focus switch right beside the lens mount and use both front and rear roulette. it has the ****in external control. why dont you go RTFM. ?!?!?!?!??:thumbdown::lol:
Thanks for the info.

So, like the ISO, WB, and Quality functions, you have confirmed the auto focus area and metering mode functions don't have dedicated external buttons like I said in my first post.
 
meetering mode functions is right beside the exposure compensation button.

to set the focus area mode and the focus point selection you have to press on the focus switch right beside the lens mount and use both front and rear roulette. it has the ****in external control. why dont you go RTFM. ?!?!?!?!??:thumbdown::lol:
Thanks for the info.

So, like the ISO, WB, and Quality functions, you have confirmed the auto focus area and metering mode functions don't have dedicated external buttons like I said in my first post.
Actually, you didn't use the word "dedicated" in your first post. You just said external buttons to control them, which it has. :mrgreen:
 
No menu diving for the main functions = external controls. Who cares if they are dedicated, they are single purpose depending on what mode you're in (play or shoot) and function the same way. If you want to get technical, the D7000 has a button the D300 and D300s doesn't have, dedicated video record button. ;)

I've owned both (D300s and D7000), I do appreciate the ergonomics of the D300s (quite a bit in fact) - but the reality is the D7000 doesn't leave me wishing for more external controls because they are all there, and with some re-training it's become natural just like the D300s was.

In fact if you change the AF modes it shows up in the viewfinder, along with a virtual horizon meter (in the viewfinder), which is a feature the D300/D300s also lacked and is very handy. D300s could only display the virtual horizon in Live View.

D7000 also has the ability to sync the time with your computer or your GPS unit, talk about a nice feature for Geotagging, but yet another feature the D300/D300s don't have.

Dual SD slots... This makes so much more sense than one CF and one SD card, I never understood that move on the D300s. I can only hope the D300s replacement picks one or the other.

39 vs 51 AF points, I have yet to notice a difference in my shooting.

The metering seems more accurate, as does the white balance - which adds a new welcome feature, a warm WB setting.

2 user customizable settings on the dial, SO much easier to use than the 2 sets of 4 banks the D300/D300s have.

IR sensor on the back comes in handy with the $15 remote too.

I loved my D300s, and still think it's an awesome body but there's a lot I don't think people realize about the D7000 in comparison.
 
Last edited:
I'm looking into the D7000 myself. I was attracted greatly to the camera for the fact of the high 16.2mp along with the dual SD ports that can be adjusted however you want. You can have one card shooting in RAW, and the other shooting in JPEG, and you also have the option to do an overload meaning that when one card runs out of space it'll automatically start saving photos onto the other card. ( Not positive if the D300 does this). Also, the commander dial has 2 new modes on the D7000, User 1 and User 2. You can set specific settings for each mode depending on what style of photography you do. User 1 can be set with specifics for portraits for example, while user 2 can be set for landscape. I'm not sure if the D300 has these options to offer as well because I haven't done thorough research on it, but in my opinion the 7000 is an awesome bang for the buck.
 
I went through the same process in November. I liked my D80 but was due for an upgrade. I was dead set on a D7000 but ended up going with the D300s. The ergonomics and general feel of it just sat better with me. Try to get both in your hands and see how they feel. They are undoubtedly very, very good camera's and will serve you well. You mention that you will be shooting weddings, given the D7000 's better high ISO performance it may be the better choice given the poor lighting conditions that you will likely encounter. That being said. I take a lot of pictures at my son's hockey games where lighting is always poor and am very pleased with the results considering I don't have any fast glass in 70- 200 range.

The D300s does have 4 custom and 4 shooting banks that can be set up in the My menu screen so that they are readily accessible. The D7000 has 2 user settings that are on one of the command dials which is more convenient. But again they are both fantastic and most of these differences don't really matter all that much as once you are used to your new camera you'll instinctively be able to locate the required settings.

Enjoy the decision process and the camera that you choose.
 
No menu diving for the main functions = external controls. Who cares if they are dedicated, they are single purpose depending on what mode you're in (play or shoot) and function the same way. If you want to get technical, the D7000 has a button the D300 and D300s doesn't have, dedicated video record button. ;)

I've owned both (D300s and D7000), I do appreciate the ergonomics of the D300s (quite a bit in fact) - but the reality is the D7000 doesn't leave me wishing for more external controls because they are all there, and with some re-training it's become natural just like the D300s was.

In fact if you change the AF modes it shows up in the viewfinder, along with a virtual horizon meter (in the viewfinder), which is a feature the D300/D300s also lacked and is very handy. D300s could only display the virtual horizon in Live View.

D7000 also has the ability to sync the time with your computer or your GPS unit, talk about a nice feature for Geotagging, but yet another feature the D300/D300s don't have.

Dual SD slots... This makes so much more sense than one CF and one SD card, I never understood that move on the D300s. I can only hope the D300s replacement picks one or the other.

39 vs 51 AF points, I have yet to notice a difference in my shooting.

The metering seems more accurate, as does the white balance - which adds a new welcome feature, a warm WB setting.

2 user customizable settings on the dial, SO much easier to use than the 2 sets of 4 banks the D300/D300s have.

IR sensor on the back comes in handy with the $15 remote too.

I loved my D300s, and still think it's an awesome body but there's a lot I don't think people realize about the D7000 in comparison.
The new metering sensor and the EXPEED II processor will likely go in every new Nikon from here. I saw the rear IR window. :thumbup:

I don't get why the D7000 can only do 3 AEB. Or do I have that wrong too? And yes, I did mean but didn't state dedicated controls in my first post.

Light Artisan, how many different models of Nikon have you owned in the last 15 months or so?
 
The 'external controls' serve one function exclusively when in picture mode, and another function when playing back the photos.

I see that as an advantage over having 5000 buttons on your camera.
 
How many? 3, maybe 4... trying to recall when I sold my D90.

D300s, D7000, P7000 - maybe D90?

All in all I've owned quite a few Nikon SLR's however.

N75
D40, D60, D5000, D3100
D80, D90
D200, D300s
D7000

Yes, 3 shot bracketing is all it does - that's one thing I miss about the D300s was the awesome 9 shot bracketing!
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom