D300 versus D7000

original.jpg

D300s==note the RED ARROW pointing to the AF PATTERN SELECTOR, which is on the back of the camera. There is ALSO an Autofocus/Manual Focus selector switch located on the front side of the camera, to the left of the lens mount, where it has been on Nikon bodies made since the mid-1980's. Note also the presence of the AF-ON button, part of the professional-level Nikon AF systems.

original.jpg

The back of the D7000. Note the absence of an AF-ON button at the top, and note also the absence of the AF PATTERN SELECTOR, replaced by a locking switch.

You can go ahead and mumble, "Oh, that..." under your breath any time now...because you are continually referring to the WRONG CONTROL OPTIONS which only the "pro" Nikons have...

Sorry to show you up. But KmH is an owner of a pro Nikon or two....as am I...

did you use a d7000 before?

original.jpg

D300s==note the RED ARROW pointing to the AF PATTERN SELECTOR, which is on the back of the camera. There is ALSO an Autofocus/Manual Focus selector switch located on the front side of the camera, to the left of the lens mount, where it has been on Nikon bodies made since the mid-1980's. Note also the presence of the AF-ON button, part of the professional-level Nikon AF systems.

original.jpg

The back of the D7000. Note the absence of an AF-ON button at the top, and note also the absence of the AF PATTERN SELECTOR, replaced by a locking switch.

You can go ahead and mumble, "Oh, that..." under your breath any time now...because you are continually referring to the WRONG CONTROL OPTIONS which only the "pro" Nikons have...

My "non-pro" D7000 does this too... its just in a more ergonomic way ;)
Please refer to page 95 of the manual: http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D7000_ENnoprint.pdf

original.jpg

original.jpg

My "non-pro" D7000 does this too... its just in a more ergonomic way ;)
Please refer to page 95 of the manual: http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D7000_ENnoprint.pdf

The pro's are telling you that its IMPOSSIBLE. only pro bodys as that option. You liar piece of crap with no certs!

I am really starting to think that some the active PRO's of this forum are putting more time into this forum than actually going out shooting.

No menu diving for the main functions = external controls. Who cares if they are dedicated, they are single purpose depending on what mode you're in (play or shoot) and function the same way. If you want to get technical, the D7000 has a button the D300 and D300s doesn't have, dedicated video record button. ;)

I've owned both (D300s and D7000), I do appreciate the ergonomics of the D300s (quite a bit in fact) - but the reality is the D7000 doesn't leave me wishing for more external controls because they are all there, and with some re-training it's become natural just like the D300s was.

In fact if you change the AF modes it shows up in the viewfinder, along with a virtual horizon meter (in the viewfinder), which is a feature the D300/D300s also lacked and is very handy. D300s could only display the virtual horizon in Live View.

D7000 also has the ability to sync the time with your computer or your GPS unit, talk about a nice feature for Geotagging, but yet another feature the D300/D300s don't have.

Dual SD slots... This makes so much more sense than one CF and one SD card, I never understood that move on the D300s. I can only hope the D300s replacement picks one or the other.

39 vs 51 AF points, I have yet to notice a difference in my shooting.

The metering seems more accurate, as does the white balance - which adds a new welcome feature, a warm WB setting.

2 user customizable settings on the dial, SO much easier to use than the 2 sets of 4 banks the D300/D300s have.

IR sensor on the back comes in handy with the $15 remote too.

I loved my D300s, and still think it's an awesome body but there's a lot I don't think people realize about the D7000 in comparison.
The new metering sensor and the EXPEED II processor will likely go in every new Nikon from here. I saw the rear IR window. :thumbup:

I don't get why the D7000 can only do 3 AEB. Or do I have that wrong too? And yes, I did mean but didn't state dedicated controls in my first post.

Light Artisan, how many different models of Nikon have you owned in the last 15 months or so?

Even if you had 123123 zillion new pro bodys in the last nano second, the only fcucking thing you shoot is colored piece of papers.

The new metering sensor and the EXPEED II processor will likely go in every new Nikon from here. I saw the rear IR window. :thumbup:

I don't get why the D7000 can only do 3 AEB. Or do I have that wrong too? And yes, I did mean but didn't state dedicated controls in my first post.

Light Artisan, how many different models of Nikon have you owned in the last 15 months or so?

Even if you had 123123 zillion new pro bodys in the last nano second, the only fcucking thing you shoot is colored piece of papers.
What is your problem?

lol, the d7000 does it different and this confuses certified nikon experts

I don't even shoot Nikon, but I seemed to follow along pretty easy without getting lost. Same function, slightly different application. Where's the confusion coming from? :confused:

Has this been mentioned? The AE-L/AF-L button can be programed as an AF-ON button? When I set this way I don't care about AF-L or AE-L since I'm shooting in manual anyway, and don't need either at that point. The D7000 does the same things, differently. As has been said.

Couple times, but you're right - you can. Although I wish you could set the function button to AF-ON, I hate having a thumb in my eye, had the same problem with the dedicated button on the D300s, but not as bad.

I didn't feel like reading the whole thread again LOL. It's not real convenient but workable. I use it sparingly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back