D3100 or P7100 for poor hobbiest??

jason32835

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm getting ready to upgrade from a crappy Canon point and click, I'd like to get back into photography as a hobby. I used to be a hobby photographer back in highschool.. like 20 years ago. I only have $500 to get started, this will have to last me at least a year.

Anyway, my first impulse is to get a D3100 and be happy with the kit lense 18-55. My buddy has a DSLR and knows way more about photography then I do tells me that I am too poor for DSLR and would be much happier with a P7100. The P7100 looks like a nice camera, but I was really hoping to geek out on the DSLR a bit and get some really nice artsy shots of the family.

So which would you suggest for me? I'll be taking pics of the family on vacations mostly, nice sunset walks on the beach, standing infront of historic buildings, kids running around playgrounds and the like.

I do not mind the added bulk of the DSLR, I carry a big bag everywhere anyway.

I might be able to get another lense in the future, but would the P7100 be a way better solution for taking quality shots on my budget?? Any major drawbacks to the D3100 with the kit lense? Any other options for $500 I'm not thinking about?

Help! :)

Jason

well, unless you know of some awesome deals I've never seen, a D3100 + kit lens + some near mandatory accessories (ie memory cards, extra battery, lens pen, blow cleaner, bag, etc) will be well over $500.

About the cheapest I see the D3100 + kit lens is $550.

Get the DSLR. Your friend is doing a major disservice to you by telling you otherwise. The D3100 with kit lens will easily outperform the P7100 if you learn how to use it. Now be forewarned that it is an addiction and you will soon be lusting after better glass and fancier bodies. I had a D40 for a couple years and that was my gateway to the addiction. Best of luck!

A d3100 will give you much better low light performance. If you really want to learn and have fun I always recommend a dslr. It gives you room to grow. The d3100 should be dropping in price, but you can pick up a refurb from cameta with a 1 year warranty for 419 shipped with no tax (outside NY) or for 490 you can get the rest of the "near" mandatory items....

well, unless you know of some awesome deals I've never seen, a D3100 + kit lens + some near mandatory accessories (ie memory cards, extra battery, lens pen, blow cleaner, bag, etc) will be well over $500.

About the cheapest I see the D3100 + kit lens is $550.

Even with a rather lousy kit lens, the D3100 will probably outperform most point and shoots as far as low light performance and shallow DOF. And if you really want to have some fun with bokeh and artsy shots, you can get the $100 50mm f1.8

Thank you very much for the feedback so far. I was really scratching my head trying to understand how even an expensive point and shoot could keep up with the DSLR.

Any warnings for getting a refurb D3100? That deal looks sweet, but I'm hoping I won't regret it.

I have personally purchased a D5000 and a D90 both refurbs from cameta. The d5000 had 18 clicks on it and was perfect. The D90 had like 2100 and was nearly perfect. Had a tiny scratch on the screen. I can say their one year warranty is a great benefit as no one else offers more than 90 days. I had to send my d90 back after 6 months for a focus adjustment and it was returned to me working perfectly. Only cost was shipping it to and from. They are physically very close to Nikon Melville if that means anything. The cameras come with everything in the original box. The beginners kit is ok, but you might do better shopping around. The tripod is kinda crappy and the 2 lenses that attach to the kit lens are pretty poor also. The memory card and bag are ok. It also has the 30 day price guarantee... It was $399 a few months ago. I hang out on a bargain site sometimes.. Here is the thread about the D3100 and cameta. Many people had like 7 to 250 clicks when they got their camera. Nikon D3100 14 MP DSLR Camera w/ 18-55mm VR DX Image Stabilization Lens (refurbished) $400 + Free Shipping - Cameta Deals, Coupons and Promos YMMV

I personally would prefer the D200 that mj mentioned, however for someone starting out, not having an auto mode or scene mode might be quite overwhelming for a beginner. FWIW I've had or used a D40, D40x, D70s, d5000, d90 and D200 full spectrum IR....

I was wanting to enter the dSLR world myself and I chose the D3100. I will say that I am very happy with my choice. I don't need all the bells and whistles the higher end models provide as I still am learning the basics. I would recommend this camera to anyone wanting to enter the dSLR world. I picked mine up for just under 600 bucks...540 ish I think. I already had some SD chips and over the following month or so I picked up things like flash...tripod...etc. I just got cheap things rather than spend money on things I may not like for what I need them for. I highly believe in buying cheap stuff and learning why its cheap and not good so that you can have some education when it's time to spend real money on features you learn that you need.

Did u purchase the d3100? If not I'm selling a package deal of one including lens, bag, recharge battery, all accessories for less than 500

Hmm - no auto mode ? Does it have the automatic ISO mechanism the D5100 has ? Then lack of AUTO isnt much a problem, one can construct a quasi AUTO very quickly.

It is tempting to go used, but I have been burned on used gear in the past and I wont test my luck with a 500 purchase.

Refurb seems like a good value. I wish I could find the d3100 body for 300 refurb, and get a better lense, but that seems out of stock.

Thanks for all the feedback, my original problem is solved, I wont be getting a point and shoot!

if you don't mind losing video you can get a refurb d3000 body for $260

It is tempting to go used, but I have been burned on used gear in the past and I wont test my luck with a 500 purchase.

Refurb seems like a good value. I wish I could find the d3100 body for 300 refurb, and get a better lense, but that seems out of stock.

Thanks for all the feedback, my original problem is solved, I wont be getting a point and shoot!

I've never had a problem buy anything off FredMiranda and have bought several things off members there in the past. In fact, most of what I get from there looks like it's never been used! And you do realize that a refurbished item has been used? Without ever buying used, you are going to SEVERELY limit what someone, especially with a strict budget, is able to purchase and use. Good luck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back