D40 or D60... And Flash Advice

Figment

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.just-stuff.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I had another thread asking rig advice. But rather than confuse a bunch of people by editing it, since I now know a little more about what I'm talking about, I figure I'd better start a new thread.
So I've decided on a Nikon. But now I'm stuck between a D40 and a D60.
I plan on using this as an "Everyday" shooter, as in Vacation, around town, family photos, and "Oh, that looks neat!" Shots.
I'm not planning on printing anything over 8X10, however I DO plan on shooting the kids playing and that sort of thing.
So, here's where my turmoil lies. What are the major differences between the D40 and D60, besides the 6mp vs 10mp, and the $150 Difference.
I guess what I mean is, if I go with the D40, saving myself $150 and giving myself some "toy" money to buy extra stuff, am I going to kick myself later?
I've done some research, and found kenrockwell.com, who SWEARS by his D40, and I'm starting to see the same thing all over.
Now, once I get the camera out of the way, what's a decent priced, decent operating flash for the D40/60? I want something with a decent recycle rate, but don't want to get smeared on the price.

Thanks in advance gang! Everyone on this forum's been GREAT in helping me weed my way through the transition from Video to Still. :) You guys rock

So, here's where my turmoil lies. What are the major differences between the D40 and D60, besides the 6mp vs 10mp, and the $150 Difference...

By themselves, the D40 and D60 are pretty much useless. To make them useful you need a lens. I presume you are comparing them with their standard "kit" lenses so the major differences that are likely to impact the images are:

1. The D60 has a sensor dust removal system that is appearantly rather effective.
2. The D60 is generally bundled with a better kit lens; one that has Vibration Reduction (VR in Nikon-ese). I say "generally" becasue some dealers improperly swap lenses in bargin "kits". Nikon's own kit bundling always puts the better VR version with the D60 and never with the D40.

There have been 3 versions of Nikon's 18-55 kit lens. The original, the model "II" and the "VR". The second, the "II", is a bit better optically, according to the published test reports, compared to the original. The "VR" is only slightly better, if any better, that the second version except that it has a vibration reduction system that is a signficant advantage for many users.

Yea, I'm still eyeing lenses. I guess my real question is the whole Megapixel thing. Am I really going to regret not going for 10 Megapixels? I keep hearing mixed arguements, but the more and more I read, the more and more I hear people say there's not much difference anymore, it's all in the lense.

There is a difference for really large prints. However, up to 8x10 the 6mp is just fine. If you think you will be doing lots of heavy cropping however, 10mp is better.

Derrick

Well, if you're stuck between a D40 and D60, make the better choice, the one in between them. The Nikon D50!

If you don't mind used equipment, I would definitely purchase a D50. Wonderful camera.

...Am I really going to regret not going for 10 Megapixels? ...

It all depends on how the gears in your head work.

You will not see the difference on an 8x10 print unless you crop the original image significantly, even then it will not be a major different. The lens differences may be more significant.

You will, depending on how those gears turn, suffer the hit to your ego when someone else shows their camera bragging about how its got more megapixels.
There are a lot of factors that affect a person's satisfaction with photography. Some relate to the final image quality, some to the pleasure of handling the equipment, and some are just "bragging rights".

You will not see the difference on an 8x10 print unless you crop the original image significantly, even then it will not be a major different. The lens differences may be more significant.

You will, depending on how those gears turn, suffer the hit to your ego when someone else shows their camera bragging about how its got more megapixels.
There are a lot of factors that affect a person's satisfaction with photography. Some relate to the final image quality, some to the pleasure of handling the equipment, and some are just "bragging rights".

I have no Ego, and I have no pride. Also, it'd be just as cool to show them an image that looks just as good as thiers and be able to say "Well, I only needed 6 MP To get THIS shot".. :) Thanks again for the wonderful advice. I think I'm going to go D40, save the money, and get some extra toys. I'm still eyeing a flash. :)

I have no Ego, and I have no pride. Also, it'd be just as cool to show them an image that looks just as good as thiers and be able to say "Well, I only needed 6 MP To get THIS shot".. :) Thanks again for the wonderful advice. I think I'm going to go D40, save the money, and get some extra toys. I'm still eyeing a flash. :)

Nikon SB 600 will do the trick!!!!!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back