tom.ganc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.atgancarzphotography.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there
I'm very happy owner of D40 but I want to upgrade it slightly. The lack of focusing motor drives me crazy (I love my 50mm f1.8 :) ). Also lack of auto bracketing, commander flash mode and few other things makes me thing about upgrade.
The thing is I need to decide what to get. I was thinking about D80 but used (or even new) D200 looks great to me.
D300 will be ideal but it is too expensive for me :(

What you think?

1 vote for the D200... it's not much more expensive then a D80, and better built, faster, with full compatibility with older lenses. The D80 may have a focusing motor, but it still won't meter with non-cpu lenses like the d200 can.

Purchase one within your budget, any of the following are great:

D80
D90
D200
D300

In that order of preference.

d90 its picture quality is extremely similar if not the same as the d300 with updated menus and such at a much lower price.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think the D80/90s had a controller flash mode.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think the D80/90s had a controller flash mode.

I know the D80 doesn't.

The D300 is a way different class of camera than a D80/90... not to say there's anything wrong with the D80/90, but comparing them in any way that implies they are very similar is pushing it a lot.

I know the D80 doesn't.

The D300 is a way different class of camera than a D80/90... not to say there's anything wrong with the D80/90, but comparing them in any way that implies they are very similar is pushing it a lot.
Okay, didn't think it did.. the OP stated they wanted controller flash mode.. So my recommendation would be a D300, or a D200 if that's their budget. You could probably pick up a used D300 for a fair price with all the people that jumped up to the D700.

I would probably recommend the D90 or the D200. The D90 is a very versatile camera, its high-ISO performance is fantastic, and, if you wait a bit until used stocks come in or the price drops, it'll be good value as well. The D200, in my opinion, you'd only really get because of its feel. It is a semi-professional camera, no doubt, and it feels like one; the '90 feels kind of like a toy (although the '40 is the same, really).

Basically, I'd recommend you try out both cameras, see how they feel in your hands, take some test shots, take them home, compare them, etc, then weigh up your expecations of your new camera, and see which one lives up to them :D.

Most reactions

Back