D500 Issues

Lacrossedad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So here is my problem. I use a D500 and I bought the additional battery grip for it. I thought I would need it since I do a lot of wildlife stuff, I am out in the field or marsh for hours on end. When shooting in continuous, the will sometimes shutter freeze and I get an "ERR" message. I am noticing that when I take off the battery grip, it doesn't t seem to have this problem. Any ideas?

Is your battery grip a Nikon battery grip, or some other battery grip ?

are you low on batteries? if the main battery is low, it wont work with even a full grip battery unfortunately.

are you low on batteries? if the main battery is low, it wont work with even a full grip battery unfortunately.
I can't ever recall having issues with the body battery being used first and low, or even no body battery at all .... with Nikon OEM grips on my D7000, D600, D750 or D500 in the past. I've had multiple issues with Non-Nikon grips.

That was the issue I had with my non-oe one. the body battery was at 10% and grip battery at 20%. removed the grip ERR went away. swapped batteries, and ERR went away. But at around 10% body battery it couldn't power correctly. Quick google results saw similar issues with low body battery power and grips (unsure if exclusively a non-oe issue).

Thanks for everyone's response. The grip is not a Nikon product. It is a Vertax, which is odd because that is an add I am seeing on this forum right now, top right. I do like the extra size that grip affords me and may just have take the battery out of it and carry extra charged batteries with me. I have big hands and with the 200-500 lens, it helps with balance as well.

Set the Grip battery to be used first, and the Body battery second.

I never had a problem draining the Body battery first then the camera automatically going to the grip battery second - on my Nikon OEM grips.

When I went to a non Nikon grip I then changed the setup to use the grip battery first. Then I could charge just the grip battery later and not take the grip off to get to the body battery, if I didn't use up the one battery. I found it more convenient that way actually and have my camera with Nikon grip to use the grip battery first.

mines set that way, but both seem to drain equally for me (well maybe like 70:30) -- possibly another non-oe issue.

I got that message several times using yongnuo flash equipment. My vertex battery grip has been flawless.

I had a shutter freeze with a Yongnuo 622N controller too on the D500. I recall posting about it with video examples.

An Adorama grip I bought drained the battery probably 3x faster than normal. Plus took a Nikon OEM batteries' life from 1 to 3 in half a day. Had no problem with the Nikon OEM grip in it's replacement.

weird. my vello grip acted up one day, cause I never charge my batteries cause it lasts so damn long!

weird. my vello grip acted up one day, cause I never charge my batteries cause it lasts so damn long!
yeah .... they're all not made equal.
They're "compatible" just not 100% compatible.

I hope my $25 neewer grip works well on my D800. ROFL.

Thank you to everyone who replied. I think I figured it out. It only happens on the 10 fps setting and usually after a second burst a few seconds following a burst. I then shot some with out the grip at all, it worked great. Then I put the grip on with no battery, and worked fine. Then I put the battery in the grip, but was still using the camera battery and it started happening again. I guess I learned my lesson buying non-Nikon equipment. The shame of it is that I was shooting in a marsh and this just happened to be the time the ducks flew and I missed what may have been some good shoots.

Most reactions

Back