d500 on dxomark

Thats what I have In mind now is better glass and not another body.Looking at the Nikon 300mm f/4 PF ED VR and Sigma 18-35 1.8 Art.

Back when my d600 got damaged I played with the D750 and D500.

Oh-My ... the 10fps is certainly seductive irregardless of anything else.
Of course, it will create a plethora of files to process afterwards ...

If nikon replaces my d600 with a new d610 I might sell it and buy a d500 to go with the d750.

Thats what I have In mind now is better glass and not another body.Looking at the Nikon 300mm f/4 PF ED VR and Sigma 18-35 1.8 Art.
Wouldn't you want the 300mm 2.8 :)

The 300mm f2.8 VR-ii weighs 2.9kg (6.39lbs). That is almost identical to the 500mm f4e at 3.09kg (6.81lbs).

The 300mm f2.8 VR-ii weighs 2.9kg (6.39lbs). That is almost identical to the 500mm f4e at 3.09kg
(6.81lbs).
Exactly what i don't want is excessive weight.

The 300mm f2.8 VR-ii weighs 2.9kg (6.39lbs). That is almost identical to the 500mm f4e at 3.09kg (6.81lbs).
Wow, that's a lot!
No doubt.

Well, based on DXO, you would wonder why anyone would buy a D750 when a D600 is so much cheaper...

D500 is much like the D5 IMO. Not every crop shooter should buy a D500, just as not every FF shooter should buy a D5. They have their purposes, and I think people know if they need it or not. While the small drawbacks on the D500 may be insignificant in the real world, I gotta wonder if Nikon could have done a little less buffer space and upped another spec. Granted, they may not have been able to do anything without switching to the smaller (in file size) sensor, which probably brings the other things.

Well, based on DXO, you would wonder why anyone would buy a D750 when a D600 is so much cheaper...
You're right and I have both of them.
But the AF is a major difference between the two (not the number of points but the way it functions and it's improved accuracy). Plus the flippy screen, better ISO performance is noticeable, etc.

You're right and I have both of them.
But the AF is a major difference between the two (not the number of points but the way it functions and it's improved accuracy). Plus the flippy screen, better ISO performance is noticeable, etc.
Don't get me wrong, the D750 is more expensive for a reason and worth it, I guess my point was simply that DXO doesn't factor everything in needed to make a purchase decision. It's useful, but not the final say like some people (and not necessarily you) make it out to be.

It's funny, I actually went with a D600 for my backup camera, basically because of price, DXO and Bill Claff's work show it's good enough for what I wanted. DXO is very strange and voodoo like with their ratings though. It is only a small piece of the puzzle and I think too many people treat it as the end all in their decision. Kind of like using snapsort, which uses "popularity" in one of their scores. I'm sure the AF in the D750 smokes the D600, much like the AF in the D500 smokes just about anything... And we all shoot different things and have different needs....

Actually the d600 smokes the d750 AF in certain scenarios. But mostly the d750s AF is superior. Drove me nuts until I figured it all out.

I think I drove GoodGuy crazy with PMs about it .. I think he probably put me on ignore since then lol

Last edited:
I was reading somewhere that the D600/D610 doesn't use a Sony sensor? I thought it did.

it's a Sony-built IMX128, yes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back